Topic

4 Day/3 Night Bike “Trek” in Texas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 4 Day/3 Night Bike “Trek” in Texas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brandt
    Spectator

@bassdude

Locale: Texas

Hey everyone. I want to go on a 4 day and 3 night bike trek around the area I live, which is in central Texas in the Hill Country. Dates would be from March 14-17 and total mileage is estimated at around 215 miles. Here is a prototype gear list I whipped up. I would have a rack on my bike that I would just strap my Jam to. Total weight for all this is 154 ounces, or 9.6 pounds. If there isn't a number by something, it means it's worn.

Shelter Pack Sleep

GoLite Jam 2: 23.6
    Kelty Cosmic 35: 48
    Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite Small 10
    Tyvek Groundcloth 4
    MLD Poncho Tarp 13.5
    Guyline, Stakes(6) Stuff Sack 6

Water Kit 4.7

Platy Bottle 2L (Dirty Water)
    Powerade Bottles 1L x2

Cooking Set 11.3

Cat Can Stove
    GSI Pinnacle Soloist Set
    Foil Windguard
    Lighter
    MSR Pactowl Nano

12 oz fuel bottle 1

Utility/Everyday

Kershaw Random Leek
    Silva Guide Compass 1.3
    Surefire G2 LED 4.5

Rest of Category 6.4
    Bug Spray
    Traveler Toothbrush/Flossers
    Toothpaste
    Dr. Bonners Soap
    Chapstick
    Sunscreen

Clothes

Convertible Hiking Pants
    Undies 4
    Patagonia Capilene 1 Shirt x2 4.6
    Biking Shorts
    Socks x2 2
    Balaclava 1.4
    Under Armour Gloves 1.7
    Bandana 1.1

Emergency Kit 4.8

Consumables Total Weight: 176 oz/11 pounds

Water (3 liters) 96

Food
    8x Clif Bars 20
    3x Oatmeal 6
    Dehydrated Meals 21
    Tea 0.4
    Almonds 4
    Trail Mix 12
    Apricots 8

Fuel (12 oz) 9

The only thing I really question is my shelter. Though I don't really expect rain in Texas in mid-march, I just can't be sure right now. I really want to make my own Meteor Bivy, but I don't think I will have it made by then, seeing as I have no sewing experience.

Also, consumables are not really set in stone. I am going through a major town everyday, I could just restock on consumables daily. I just thought I would carry them all with me if I had the space. It would probably make things easier.

Any input you guys can add to my list is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Why undies if you're already wearing bike shorts?

Convertible pants won't work well cycling, they'll catch in your back wheel and the zips might chafe.

If your gear is going on a rack, I'd use a big stuffsack or drybag rather than the Jam. Otherwise you'll have to fiddle with keeping all the straps out of the rear wheel.

Why a compass on road bike tour?

Tool? Pump? Tubes?

I'd carry some breakfast and dinner, but minimal snacks. Better to get fresh stuff to suit your mood. On a hot day, Frosty = priceless.

Brandt
    Spectator

@bassdude

Locale: Texas

My plan is to bike to a city and go stay at a local or state park for the night. So, I was figuring that when I got there it would be nice to change out of my bike shorts into some normal shorts. I wasn't gonna use the pant legs when cycling, but I would have the zip offs on around camp or whatever. I guess I could just wear some regular athletic shorts over my bike shorts, and just not worry about undies when I take my bike shorts off and put on my hiking pants?

That is also the reason I was planning on using the Jam, so that I could have a daypack for my trips in the local and state parks. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to keep the straps out of the back wheel.

As for the compass, and tools and such, I just modified this list from my normal backpacking one. I overlooked adding that stuff. I have a tube repair kit with a CO2 powered pump and I have one spare tube. I need to weigh them. I would probably also carry a hex key set for whatever adjustments I might need. I'll add that onto the list and in the weight when I get a chance.

Good idea about the food. I can stop along the way somewhere to get fresh lunch and snacks, but still have breakfast and supper at the ready in my pack for when I reach camp for the night.

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools