Topic

RYBG (Repair Your Bought Gear)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear RYBG (Repair Your Bought Gear)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

My buddy has a gortex pro hard shell jacket, I think Archterex… That he caught on a tree this weekend and ripped it. I would say send it to them to fix it but it is only February and we stretch winter to early May if weather allows.

What would be the best way to fix it?ousideinside

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

A simple and quick way to fix it:

GORE-TEX Fabric Repair Kit.

Cheers.

David Franzen
    Spectator

@dfranzen

Locale: Germany

Similar problem here:

With my crampons I cut a tear in my somewhat stretchy gore-tex pants, similar to the picture above.

Do I use the same patch for a stretchy fabric? Or are there better ones in this case?

Cheers.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I suggest essentially what Marco recommended but honestly you don’t even need to use actual Gore Tex fabric.  Any piece of waterproof fabric and some Seam Grip will take care of the problem – just make sure to cut the corners rounded for the best adhesion.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

If you want the super cheap way of fixing it, you don’t even need to use a piece of waterproof fabric as long as it’s not in a place that needs a bit of extra fabric to move around in. Just sew it up the rips with some thread and seam seal that. Just be sure you get a good bite of the fabric when you sew so the thread won’t pull through.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools