Topic

Gear Closet Organization – Which modules/boxes do you use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Closet Organization – Which modules/boxes do you use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I'm reorganizing my gear closet, 3 season and winter, with some plastic storage bins – which boxes/modules do you use to organize your gear, other than clothing?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I use the ones that I could find that best fit my cabinet. I see that I need to update this photo since much of what you see was sold off last year during the big purge. Take your tape measure down to Target or wherever. I have some new ones made by Snapware that I like. Of course when I went back to Target they had no more.

cb

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Show off!! ; ))

I dig the reflector tape on the bear canister, smart!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is a type of modular wood kit that is sold at some home improvement stores. It is some heavy particle board pieces, and each kit forms a wooden cube that is 15" on a side, with one of the six sides open. I bought a bunch of those, assembled them all, then painted them white. One whole wall of my garage has those stacked up about five high, with the open side facing out, so it makes twenty or thirty cubbyholes to store different items.

Rope and such is on hooks on pegboard, which is above and behind the white cubes. Skis and poles are in their own closet to the side.

Fuel is kept in a fireproof container. That is white gas, denatured alcohol, butane blend, pure butane, and some unknown liquids.

A friend of mine commented that my interior decorator must have been Eddie Bauer.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I use Rubbermaid storage bins. Cheap and they last. Most of mine are rather large as it keeps cat hair out of even the packs.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I think I might have less gear than the OP… But we keep just about everything but sleeping bags, inflatables, and clothing in stuff sacks in the packs. Things are generally grouped- less frequently used gear, cold weather gear, and heavier gear goes into the big Granite Gear pack I'll use in winter and most of the current 3-season stuff does into our Nimbus Latitude. We keep the GG Vapor Day and ULA Circuit empty so we use them for travel and day hikes without having to empty them of gear.

All of our car camping stuff- again, excluding sleeping bags, inflatables, and clothing- is in a big Rubbermaid bin that we can toss into the car at the first mention of "looks like the weekend is going to be gorgeous!"

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

My wife and I installed some "elfa" type metal mesh drawers in our basement to store a lot of this stuff,
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/elfa/components/elfaDrawersAccessories?N=80348

I'm pretty careful to get everything dry before putting it away, but I like the idea of the mesh drawers — fine enough that nothing slips through, open enough to allow decent air movement, and I can get a sense for what's in the drawer before opening it (depending on size of drawer and contents).

And of course, the drawers come out easily to set on the ground and paw through more thoroughly.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if there are significantly cheaper options than elfa; we got ours on sale maybe 3 years ago (?), but still a bit spendy I think.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I see that Ken's closet is the same one I use. Works OK except that my summer down bag goes outside, on top of the closet in its storage bag.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I purchased some drawers similar to the Elfa but from Ikea that were very inexpensive. The mesh is spaced further apart so many smaller items would fall through, but they do make a plastic bin w/ lid to fit the same drawer assembly. Care has to be taken with them as the build quality is lacking. I had two of the drawer guides break their welds, but otherwise they have been a good purchase. It is listed under their laundry items under the series ANTONIUS. I use them in the closet for socks and such but not for my gear. Instead I purchased some wooden bins from Ikea a while back and installed some casters. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I use whatever plastic storage bin is on sale. Usually in the color of the previous holiday.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools