Topic

Insulation Strategy: Shell under or over down sweater?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insulation Strategy: Shell under or over down sweater?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Simple question:

What is more effective for keeping warm while moving and/or at camp. Wearing your puffy sweater under your rain shell or over your rain shell on cold days? Notice I didn't say that it was raining but rather just cold.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Under rain shell.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

I wear my rain shell under my insulation layer. It helps the insulation layer maintain loft by avoiding something from compressing it while also adding a little warmth because the shell acts a bit like a vapor barrier. Reverse it if the weather is bad.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

It depends on why I'm putting on the insulation layer.

If it's a dry day, if I'm using my shell as a windshirt, and I'm wanting to add insulation on a break from hiking, I'd throw on the sweater/jacket/vest on over my shell. Why? It's faster and easier, and I don't want to get any of my sweat on my insulation, especially if it's down.

If I'm sitting around at camp and don't expect to take off the insulation, I'll wear my shell over my insulation, if anything to protect the insulation's delicate low denier shell fabric from twigs or ash.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ same- for breaks it goes over (non-rain event), at camp it goes under

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Assuming the shell is properly sized so that it doesn't compress the high loft jacket, over the top is warmer in my experience. That said, if it's to get a quick warm up, and then I will be moving again, putting insulation over the shell is more efficient.

–Mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools