Topic

compass for a neck lanyard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) compass for a neck lanyard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

some time ago i stopped carrying my piece o’junk mini compass/thermometer/wind chill chart because i realized the compass really didn’t work. i’ve finally decided to get serious about a mini compass again and i see that there are quite a few models to choose from here on BPL. i’m thinking either the Comet or the Gem (both by Suunto).

anybody use either of these and like them? or have an alternate to suggest? i’m not planning to use them for hardcore navigation, since i’m no great shakes at orienteering or anything like that. more just to do some basic triangulation and to keep track of what direction i’m going.

thanks. i wonder if i’m just dithering, and if all mini-compasses are pretty much the same.

Al Clemens

@al

Had the comet and liked it. It’s compass is accurate and functional with movable outer bezel. Thermo is reasonably accurate.

I attached it to my BP hip belt and after a couple years of abuse the compass portion popped out leaving me with the thermo unit and a hole! I doubt this will happen if you wear it around your neck though. Next time I order from BPL, I plan to get a new one.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’d vote for the Gem. Brunton makes a “pocket” compass. I have an older version of the Silva 609 “Companion” model that goes everywhere with me (see http://www.silvacompass.com/promotional.html). REI has a mini (Item 408059) that is a keychain rig too.

My main navigation compass is a Silva Guide 426 (REI item 408185). It is 1.2oz and has a sighting mirror (doubles for grooming and signaling). You could wear it on a lanyard without too much trouble.

Rather then wearing such things around my neck, I have taken to making a lanyard from reflective line that can be looped around my belt and just dropped in my pocket. A whistle, a keychain compass, fire starter and a small knife or multitool can all be carried this way.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>or have an alternate to suggest?

I don’t want to carry a 2+ ounce compass when I’m on a trail. Mostly I want a compass to orient a map, but it should also have the chops to do some serious work if called on. My choice is the Suunto M-9 wrist compass.

http://www.rei.com/product/744.htm

If you “Click for larger view” and then click “View face detail”, you can see that it is marked in 5-degree increments, and has a side-viewer and sighting marks. This makes it easy to take an accurate sight bearing, which is hard to do with other small compasses. [Note: the degree markings are off by 180 degrees, which is only correct when viewed through the side window.]

Compass weight is 12g (0.5 oz), and the wristband (which I don’t carry) weighs 3g (0.2 oz).

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

thanks everybody.

Dale, i like your idea but i’ve moved into using a skirt for hiking. my current model has no pockets, so i’m sticking with the necklace for now.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

From: “Wilderness Navigation” by Bob & Mike Burns…”It is not a good idea to put the [compass] lanyard around your neck; this can be an unsafe practice, particularly when doing any technical climbing, difficult scrambling, or when climbing over and under fallen logs in a forest.”

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

There was a thread some time ago about break away lanyards. The safety of a lanyard is worth considering. Someone besides an assassin might be tempted to use Aircore 1.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

I usually just girth-hitch lanyards and keeper loops to my pack and keep whatever gadget I’m talking about in a pack pocket. Packs with hipbelt pockets and little pockets you can attach to shoulder straps are awesome for solving the neck lanyard problem.

Al Clemens

@al

With a little common sense a neck lanyard (break away or not) shouldn’t be a safety issue. Just tuck the lanyarded compass under your shirt when you’re bushwacking, rock scrambling etc.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I perpetrated that earlier post on lanyard safety. BizMart and Office Depot both carry Avery brand lanyards with safety releases. They break away, and reattach. I think I paid $5 for two.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

wow, didn’t mean for this to become a necklace debate. the lanyard is tucked into my shirt & bra 99% of the time. my compression bras do a good job of keeping it in place.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools