Topic

Toothpaste as anti-bacterial? Antibacterial properties of toothpaste..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Toothpaste as anti-bacterial? Antibacterial properties of toothpaste..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I have some micro foil sample packs of toothpaste that may have a limited antibacterial property. They are about 1/16″ thick by 3/4″ by 1 1/4″ – samples from my dentist sister-in-law. Very convienient, but like everything else, they need to do multi duty. I heard they use a substance similar to toothpaste in cleaning up after anthrax exposures. I have also seen a report online saying that Triclosan is an effective antibacterial ingredient (in Crest Total?) and that while chlorhexidine gel is the best, it’s not currently used in commercially available toothpastes.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

In 1988 I was out in a heavily wooded area in Dallas, and brushed against what I thought was a 2″ diameter vine as I walked through the trees. Within 1 minute, I developed a very large irritation area on my arm where it had touched me. Went back and looked at the “vine” in more detail, and realize it was a massive poision ivy plant. The only thing I had that I thought might get rid of the irritating oil was Crest toothpaste, so I rubbed it on trying to remove the irritant. Within ~15 minutes, the itching was gone, within a couple of hours, it was difficult to tell where I had touched it.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I hear toothpaste also works well on drying out and relieving bug bites and zits, especially the toothpaste w/ baking soda.

-Mark

William Hayes

@williamhayes

read upon triclosan before you use it.this is some bad stuff and not good for your health It is often found in shampoos but I have never seen it as an ingredient in toothpaste. Hillbilly

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

William, triclosan has been an ingredient in colgate total toothpaste for years and years.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools