Topic

where to buy breathable reflective material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear where to buy breathable reflective material?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

Just picked up a Ridgerest Solite and have had a NB Fugu jacket and it got me thinking of making a quilt with some breathable reflective material.

My idea is to use some 1.1 oz. nylon as the outer shell, 3.3 oz. climashield insulation and some reflective material as the inner shell. My goal is to keep it under 1 lb..

Anyone know a place I could pick some up? Thanks!

Joseph

Nancy Charlier
    BPL Member

@ncharlier

Locale: Midwest

Try http://www.therainshed.com. They carry a lot of varieties of Illuminite fabric, and they tend to give weights fairly accurately, too. They will send you swatches of all their reflective stuff for $1.00. The only drawback with them is you either have to fax or phone your orders–their website is not set up for ordering. Or maybe this isn't the type of reflective you mean…

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Joseph,

You're not the only one looking .

Aluminized Tyvek?

Space blanket? A little noisy but cheap.

Party On,

Newton

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Unlike the older foil space blankets, the Heatsheets polyethylene ones are not noisy, and are flexible enough to stretch before breaking. The large model is 5 by 8 feet and weighs about 1.05 ounces per square yard. Cost around $6. Breathable? I had in mind making thousands of little tiny punctures with a meat tenderizer stamp, or you could make a cheap stamp with sharp tacks.

Warmlite sells an aluminized 1.4 oz silnylon, but being sil-coated, is not breathable. Very expensive, around the price of Cuben.

Would still like to know if another oz/sq/yd of Primaloft or the like wouldn't provide more insulative value. But I digress.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools