Topic

Ski Bindings for Hiking Boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ski Bindings for Hiking Boots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

After David Chenault inspired me with his Spring Skis, I tried to make something similar. I failed, but my brother succeeded.

He has now written a high resolution document and a low resolution document describing the bindings. Enjoy!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Nice work, and nice write up. I'm slowly working on a much improved v2 of mine. No rush, as I won't need them until May.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Ross,
    Are you familiar with what were the Ramer bindings that readily accepted many hiking boots and had a toe release. Would be interested in your opinion.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I'm not familiar with Ramer bindings. I've only seen them on the web. I seem to remember some site that listed several approach ski choices, and those might have been on there. Can you buy them now? When I started building my own, I knew of no one making anything that interested me (Yupi and Karhu stopped making theirs). Now, there are the three offerings I mention in my little doc (although one of them is only a ski, which really doesn't count, since there are several little skis, or skiboards that can be used). Unfortunately, unless they still make Ramer bindings, I don't think anyone makes anything that would really fit the bill (without making your own).

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have Berwin bindings (white Canadian Army ones) that I attatch to my Voile' release bindings.

My solution for more stiffness was to add (pop rivet) a layer of stainless steel 1/16 inch strip inside the Berwin's sole. It helps but ain't nearly as stiff as your setup. Nice solution you've worked out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools