Topic

Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Show Us Your MYOG Sewing Machines

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I've been using my wife's almost 35 year old Singer Stylist model # 538. The one in the picture isn't mine but it is a picture that I found online that is identical to mine.

Singer model # 538

It has gotten me through all of my MYOG projects that I've posted here on BPL. It is a home style machine that could use a stronger motor but aside from that it has served me well.

Let's see what the rest of us are using. :-)

Party On,

Newton

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

John here's mine. I picked it up from a friend, she found it at a garage sale. It's a 1950's ? Singer 401a Slant-o-matic, she cleaned it up, and replaced a missing nob, picked it up for $70.00. I haven't used it much, still trying to figure it out, it has a lot of function's on it, but so far really nice.

Yeah baby

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

That's a steal for a good 401A, they often go for $200 on ebay.

I'll post some pics of mine later. My main machine is a 500A, and I've got a couple of 301's I use also. Although I'll be replacing the 500 with a Juki DDL 8700 this month, and just picked up an industrial Juki 5-thread Serger.

For a do everything heavy duty home machine, the Singer 401A or 500A can't be beat, I suggest anybody looking for a serious MYOG machine to try and find one.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Thanks Javan, I got lucky, I just called my frind one day, and said I'm looking for a sewing machine to do MYOG projects, and her reply was, I just picked this up, if you want it, it's your's. "SCORE" now I just need to learn how to use it.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

neon and 500A

There's one of Neon and my 500A before I moved into my studio. ;) You can see a 301A down on the floor to the left.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Jack,

Do you have the manual for your machine?

There are printed copies available at Sewing Machine Manuals Dot Com for $25.00.

You can also download one at Backpage Dot Com. Just make sure you have plenty paper in the printer because it is 112 pages long. :-)

I would imagine you could just store it in a file on your computer but you may have to do a lot of scrolling to find what you need. You may want to move your sewing machine to your computer room. ;-)

Hope this helps.

Party On,

Newton

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

For silnylon and lightweight rip-stop I use an old Necchi BU machine from the 50's. I don't have a pic of it though.

To sew anything heavier such as XPAC, Cordura, and upholstery fabrics, I use my Jki 241H walking foot machine seen here:

. ..

@dgowler

It looks like you guys are mostly using some pretty vintage machines here. Are the old fully metal machines a better choice? Ive had an eye out for a good deal on a sewing machine to make a few small projects, but I declined an old singer machine from my grandmother. Its from the 60s and built like a tank, should I reconsider this freebie?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Just getting into sewing after a hiatus.

I'm using my mom's fancy Janome Memory Craft 6500. It's nice!

adsf

BPL open on the computer. Windstopper fleece, mesh and a mystery nylon on the left.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Devon,

In a word, YES! :-)

Party On,

Newton

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

John, Yeah I got one on ebay for $7.00 I figured I better have one just to start the thing, HA! HA! I do like the fact that my machine is all metal and no belts, all gear drive, just clean, lube, and go. I do need to invest in a nice big table though, that's my next purchase, then some silnylon, and so on, the never ending light weight gear endeavor, ya gota love it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I have many 'sewing machines.' Here are three of them:

.ron

and another:

.lawson

and yet another:

.tim

I do, however, hope to have one that looks much more like y'all's someday!

Jerry Wick
    BPL Member

@jerryw

Locale: Illinois

My thread injector is a late '50's Singer Style-O-Matic 328K. It's all metal construction, no plastic anywhere. It's sewn everything from light Momentum fabric and no-see-um up to multiple layers of leather and canvas.
    Singer 328K

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am relieved that people here still call it by its pefectly respectable name…..sewing machine. It even has the word "machine" in it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I am relieved that people here still call it by its pefectly respectable name…..sewing machine. It even has the word "machine" in it.

A big +1

Jerry Wick
    BPL Member

@jerryw

Locale: Illinois

KP – "I am relieved that people here still call it by its pefectly respectable name…..sewing machine. It even has the word "machine" in it."

Seems I ruffled some feathers. No matter what you call it, it's all in the name of fun. Bottom line – that's what all of this is about anyway. :)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"No matter what you call it, it's all in the name of fun. Bottom line – that's what all of this is about anyway. :)"

Agreed.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

LOL…Douglas wins!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

new

My $25 like new New Home free arm machine.

nec1

My first Necchi BU. It is a real workhorse. 1954 all metal. Ooh and look at the manly chrome.

nec2

Liked the first one so much I bought a second. This one is set up to sew with heavy duty thread.

sewroom

All of them live in the sewing room. Nice and roomy with plenty of light. Thanks to my wife for letting go of the living room we never use.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Ken, I have the same machine! I inherited it from my grandmother who bought it new in 1956. I used it to sew multiple layers of 1000d Cordura until acquiring an industrial machine. The chrome and black enamel is nice, and it runs very smoothly.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Ken,

I know I started this thread so I guess I asked for it. But……..

Your living room is your sewing room!

Two Necchis!

"Nice and roomy with plenty of light. Thanks to my wife for letting go of the living room we never use".

Your wife is a real keeper. :-)

You're a lucky man. Does she hike too? ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Your wife is a real keeper. :-)"

+20 lovely years together. The joke is now I have kept her for so long she has no resale value. Me, I was worthless from the get go.

She does not hike. Car camping only. Nobody is perfect…

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

I've got a Necchi BU head just like that mounted in an industrial table+motor. Gifted to me by Judy Gross at Lightheart Gear. Awesome machine.

Earl Derby

@xj35s

I bought this "Style Elements" mini sewing machine from Big Lots for $15. It came with a ton of extras and has an AC adapter and even a foot pedal control. You'll see in the picture the Singer hand held which is total junk for the same price. I sew through denim jean seems with it no problem. I came here looking for some ideas to sew with it.Style Elements mini sewing machine

Here is a list of what came with it. Yes it say's 20 threaded Bobbins and I bet there is enough thread on the spools to refill them each twice.list accessories

robert perks

@rperks

I opted for a new machine, but covet some of those vintage beauties

Juki HZL 35Z

Juki HZL 35Z, so far so good with light materails all the way up to canvas, And yes if you were wondering, the glitter glue is super cool.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools