Topic

Make me a rain wrap?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make me a rain wrap?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I know this sub-forum is called make YOUR OWN gear but since I am beginner sewer without a working sewing machine I was hoping someone could fabricate a rain wrap for me. Something similar in specs to the ULA rain wrap. PM me and we can talk design and cost.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Angelo,

Have you looked into the TrailLite Designs CloudKilt by Z-Packs? This is very similar to the ULA Rain Wrap in function but at half the weight.

TrailLite Designs CloudKilt

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I have. I was just trying not to spend $55 on such a simple product.

Have you worn cuben fiber before?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Right on Angelo, I thought maybe that option may have eluded you. I haven't worn a cuben article so couldn't tell you how it feels next to skin.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Cuben fiber itself is expensive which is where most the cost is coming from. Depending on your design constraints, for the money you're probably best off just using a heavy duty trash bag or two with built in handles to get you through a week (obviously not a thru-hike usage model).

If not silnylon is going to be a durable solution, but there are concerns about just how "waterproof" it is. For walking it should be fine, but sitting on a wet log or ground will probably leave your butt soaked.

Good luck!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Someone (Mike Clelland?) on a thread once suggested cutting a pair of DriDucks pants (which most people don't think will last long anyway) and taping into a rain wrap. If you cut the pants at or above the knee and ripped the seams along the inside of each leg, you should have enough fabric. You could go to Joann's or somewhere like that for fabric tape.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I see the functionality of a rain wrap / kilt.

If a shower pops up unexpectedly it could be difficult to slip on a pair of rain pants without taking off your shoes / boots and having to put them back on while it is raining.

My rain gear is a DriDucks UL suit. I am considering cutting up the pants for the material and fabricating an extension for the jacket. Picture that old yellow vynil rainsuit that your Mom used to wrap you up in on rainy days before you left for school. ;-)

I'm thinking of sewing it to the bottom of the jacket and venting the back and front ala a "drover's style" raincoat like the cowboys wore on the old cattle drives of the late 1800s. The plan is to cover my legs but not overly restrict movement while hiking.

Not sure if I want to attach it permanently or use velcro, omni tape or a small zip.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools