Topic

Where’s the Nido?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Where’s the Nido?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I like to down a quick cold cereal in the morning with my coffee. Typically i use dry milk which is fine but I'm thinking about trying to add more umf to my cereal so I can maybe get more out of it. So I plan to add fruit, nuts, honey, chocolate (other ideas??). Also I want to replace the nonfat dry milk with Nido or something like that but I cant find any at my local grocery stores. Is there another alternative that is more easily found and tastes good?

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Do you have Food 4 Less down there. I have bought it there in the past.

I also add ground flaxseed (Bobs Redmill) to my cereal for calories and fiber.

I believe you can also buy Nido from Packitgourmet.com. They have a lot of condiments and other fun stuff to make an order worthwhile. The Olive Oil packets from them are nice for a no mess carry and adding calories to dinners.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

En los arboles? ;)
    I find it at Mexican groceries.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

It is sold in the hispanic food aisle

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Psh. Some mexican I am. I had no idea it was a mexican product. I am ashamed and feeling no bueno. I'll check that out, thank you!

Flax seed, yes of course! My wife just brought some home too, I'll start adding that as well. thanks!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm

JOHN ZENNER
    Spectator

@johnz

Locale: East Bay

Any mexican market, or even international market will have it in every available size configuration.

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

I just bought two cans of Nido in the Hispanic section of my local Walmart.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And yeah, Packit does carry it, so if you can't find it locally…..

Nido is good but does require a lot more shaking in drinks so keep that in mind ;-)

Warren Crow
    BPL Member

@crowculbertson

Locale: Alabama

I have it in my Publix grocery stores. It is located near the hot chocolate mix.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

I *think* that is the right brand… Might be Backpacker's Pantry? They make a pretty decent powdered milk if you can't find Nido.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

In my breakfast granola-type mixture (which I usually eat cold) I use an organic whey protein that's prepared with an ultrafiltration process (it removes part of the lactose, and it does not use extreme temperatures or changes in pH the way that many whey protein products are processed). My body seems to digest this kind of nondenatured whey protein much more easily than regular milk products.

I've usually paid from $25.00 to $35.00 per container, but it's on sale right now on a few websites for between $18.00 & $20.00 (two are listed below the Source Naturals website, which gives more detailed information on the whey protein).

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1812/

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/source_naturals-whey_to_health.htm?gclid=CKvA-9LMjacCFQqAgwodxj0oeg

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

And I can't take credit for this… All Jester's idea.

Powdered baby formula. That is easy to find.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Diana, your protein is still pasteurized at high temperatures if you live in the United States. That is the law. At best they mean to say that their pasteurization is as close to the legal limit so as to limit the extent of denaturation, yet here is the exact working on their website:

Unlike many protein isolates, our whey protein concentrate was not exposed to extreme temperatures or changes in pH that might alter the activity of the proteins by changing their shape during processing.

And that is an outright lie and illegal. Pasteurization must occur at a minimum of 149°F, but at 2°C less, 7% denaturation already occurs in cow milk. You can bet that the percentage is higher when the temperature is raised to the minimum legal limit, so not only might it alter the activity of the proteins by changing their shape during processing, it DOES. I can understand wanting to go with an organic product, but I would not trust a company that is either ignorant, liars or even criminals.

And wow, your organic stuff is crazy expensive. $25-50 a pound, it's about as much to much more expensive than the most elite of proteins. For that price, you think they'd say how long the peptides are, or at least provide the amino acid profile.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Here in Washington state, the super Wal-marts carry Nido! I ordered a small can from Packit, and was mightily annoyed when I found I could get a super-sized Nido can locally!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Asian markets – Ranch 99, H-Mart etc

Albertsons in the hispanic foods aisle

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Diana, your protein is still pasteurized at high temperatures if you live in the United States. That is the law."

Is this the law for protein derived from whey in the U.S.? I know that unpasteurized milk is legal in a number of states, but am quite ignorant of laws for protein.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Ugh, trying to look up the specific laws hurts my head. Yes, unpasteurized milk appears to be legal in some states. If I'm reading it correctly, I believe milk is left up to the states. It seems to be different with milk products, or at least some milk products. The PMO 2009 Revision is probably the best place to start reading if you're better at reading that stuff than I am. The easiest way to find out (eventually) is to report this to the FDA. I suspect that a lot of unpasteurized milk is as "raw" as some whey products. That is, they call it raw if it's not ultra heat pasteurized, double pasteurized or something like that. Or sell a slightly different milk product that allows a lower pasteurization temperature, but still labels it as milk. I don't have that much interest in looking at the laws for raw milk unless I'm also going to find out about the operation that produces the truly raw milk to make sure they're using sanitary procedures, especially their feed…which is important since there is no line of defense. That said, if I took the trouble to raise my own cows, I would drink raw milk.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Eugene,

You brought up a good point: You said: “I don't have that much interest in looking at the laws for raw milk unless I'm also going to find out about the operation that produces the truly raw milk to make sure they're using sanitary procedures, especially their feed…which is important since there is no line of defense. That said, if I took the trouble to raise my own cows, I would drink raw milk.”

I agree that the source of the milk is important. Below is a link to some reviews I found about a product offered by the company from which I get my whey protein. I haven’t verified the reviews. They mention the other whey product that I used to use, but I switched to the newer version because it’s a certified organic product. Some of the reviews mention that the cows are grass-fed.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=True+Whey&cid=61785279180481665&os=reviews

In regard to the laws you referred to in your earlier post, I spent a little time looking, and here’s what I found (see below). I'm not a lawyer, so I don't want to try to interpret what these mean:

The processing of whey protein products is governed by the Code of Federal Regulations in Title 21CFR, Part 184:

Section 1979(b)(3) reads as follows: "The whey must be derived from milk that has been pasteurized, or the whey and modified whey product must be subjected to pasteurization techniques or its equivalent before use in food."

Whey protein concentrate is specifically dealt with in 21CFR184.

Section 1979c.(b)(3) reads as follows:

"The whey protein concentrate shall be derived from milk that has been pasteurized, or the whey protein concentrate shall be subjected to pasteurization techniques or its equivalent before use in food."

The FDA Pasteurized Milk Ordinance of 2009 says in part:

"3. All milk and milk products shall be pasteurized, prior to the entrance into RO, UF, evaporator or condensing equipment, and shall be performed in the milk plant where the processing is done, except that:
    a. If the product is whey, pasteurization is not required, provided:
    (1) The product is acid whey (pH less than 4.7); or
    (2) It is processed in RO or UF equipment at temperatures at or below 7oC (45oF)".

I have found that my body processes this protein better than many other types I’ve tried. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

I have taken the following statement about Whey to Health from the company’s website:

“Protein concentrates have high biological value- they supply a high amount of the amino acids your body needs. A protein's function depends on its shape. Unlike many protein isolates, our whey protein concentrate was not exposed to extreme temperatures or changes in pH that might alter the activity of the proteins by changing their shape during processing. Whey to Health supports your body's essential protein requirements with a unique profile of highly bioavailable proteins and immune factors, including branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), lactoferrin and immunoglobulins. Whey is one of the most easily digested forms of high quality protein. It is low in carbs and can be used in conjunction with a variety of diet and exercise programs.” http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1812/

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

I just found it here in Mpls – go to the walmart web site, search NIDO, and check availability at the store closest to you. Worked for me …. for once. 1st impression is pretty good. I had low expectations. Now to find the other Nido post I was reading..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools