Topic

Integral Designs Event Jacket and Thruhiker Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Integral Designs Event Jacket and Thruhiker Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Christine Thuermer

@chgeth1

I have just started my research on a new rain jacket and found out that the Integral Designs Event Jacket and Thruhiker Jacket are on sale in various online shops.

A quick research on BPL showed that the ID Jacket gets loads of praise and best marks from reviewer Ryan Jordan. But all these reviews and posts date back to 2007. Back then it seemed to be the best jacket on the market, but now is 3 years later and I wonder if anything better is around.

If not, I would act quickly and get one on sale.

The next question is whether it is worth to invest more money (and carry more weight) for a thru hiker jacket instead of the normal jacket. I want to use it on a thruhike in the UK in fall where I expect a lot of rain in exposed and windy terrain.

Thanks for your help,
    Christine

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Given that the weight is listed as 10 oz for size small, I'd might be inclined to go for something a little lighter; in fact, for my next long hike I just ordered an Outdoor Research Helium Jacket. Lower hydrostatic head and have to reapply the DWR periodically, I reckon I'll do that via mail at a couple of gear swap times (mail Nikwax back and forth). And I don't think it covers the hips as well. But it weighs 6.8 oz in size large.

For where you're going, the thru-hiker jacket might be a very good choice, especially on sale, and especially if you're disinclined to wear rain pants, chaps, or skirt (I'll be using a Zpacks cuben rain skirt). My wife and I walked the Wainwright trail in September, and my poncho (actually Gatewood Cape) worked okay overall, but there were a couple of times on the moors where the wind was fierce enough that I reckoned I was better off without the cape flapping about — that's very much "not normal" for where I generally hike.

Another factor about hiking in England — are you mostly camping, or are you staying in hostels and B&B's and the like? We did the latter (a stipulation by my spouse). In that case, I think it just matters a whole lot less that you get the absolute optimal piece of gear. You would be carrying less weight (no tent, sleeping bag …), and have a chance to dry everything out every night.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Christine:

I have the ID eVent rain jacket — the lighter model of the two. If max. breathability is your criterion, then MO, eVent is still the best option out there. I'm very happy with mine.

I too debated between the ID rain jacket and the ID Thru-hiker jacket — having read that the latter offered a better fit. In the end, I ordered the rain jacket — preferring to give the lighter weight option the benefit of the doubt — before going for a heavier option.

If you decide on ID, then you might wish to do the same — or maybe just order both from the same store so you can compare size and fit and then return one or the other. Shipping if often the same or similar for one as for two — and return postage is pretty minimal as well.

Christine Thuermer

@chgeth1

I will hike JoGLE (John O'Groats to Land's End) and will basically camping all the time.
    I am generally extremely weight conscious, but I have been pretty miserable on other trips to the UK in rain. I know what you are talking about regarding the Gatewood Cape. I have hiked with a poncho in the UK before and due to the exposed terrain and the wind this turned out not to be such a great option.
    Therefore I am willing to carry extra weight if that results in a really bombproof rain jacket. But I will definitely wear rain paints (Golite Reeds – I bought one of the last pairs available..), and so I wonder whether the thruhiker jacket is worth the extra money and weight.

@Benjamin
    :
    I am ordering from Germany to the US from where a friend will bring the jacket back to Germany thus reducing shipping costs and duty. But unfortunately this way I cannot just order two jackets and send one back.
    One question for you: Ryan Jordan wrote in his review that the sizing was not very accurate. He had to buy one two sizes bigger than normal. I am 1,84m (= (6ft). Usually I go for a Large or XLarge. Would you recommend ordering the bigger size because this jacket fits rather tightly as Ryan Jordon has pointed out?

Thanks,
    Christine

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Definitely size up. My large ID eVent jacket is about the same size as my Medium Marmot Essence.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i have put enough miles on my thru-hiler to know it's a good thing. breathes very well. i can pack and not sweat out. this is an improvement from before. the sizing is generous and the sleeves don't pull up the waist if you lift your arms. it's not cut for fat people.
    although it is acceptably long, i added a 6.5" event extension skirt just to not worry about a wet/chapped butt. ID graciously supplied the extra fabric.
    yes, it's from a few years ago. you WANT gear that is proven most of the time. gear that changes yearly is marketing, not better gear.
    the fabric appears to be doing quite well along the lines of longevity.

i could not be happier with my parka and am not looking to replace it.

hope this helps.
    cheers,

v.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Christine:

For comparison… I'm 5'9", 150lbs with 18" torso. The ID rain jacket in size L fits me perfectly.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The ID eVent fabric is shiny & noisy. I'm most likely getting an REI eVent park. They have a dull finish & are not noisy.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If your in Europe look at the RAB Gear. they own Integral Designs, and when I contacted ID for information on there products they pretty much just recommended RAB products.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

id wait if you can for all the shiny new breathable fabrics …

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Getting an eVent rain jacket is something I am looking into as well. Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone provide proof of where ID is manufactured? The site says Calgary but that may be different now that Rab owns them.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

still there. they have a military production so product has to be made in Canada.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Christine,

Based on your height, my recommendation would be that you go with the Thruhiker if you're dead set on getting one of these two ID jackets.

I have the ID eVent Rain Jacket. I typically wear a size large in just about any other brand but sized up to an XL for the ID Rain Jacket based on others comments. It fits… but I don't have a lot of extra room. The issue is mainly with the torso length, it overlaps with my rain pants but not by a whole lot. For reference, I'm 5'10", 195 lbs with an athletic build.

At your stated height, if you have a longer torso, you might be in trouble with the size XL Rain Jacket.

It's my understanding the Thruhiker has addressed this and has a longer torso, as it's designed more for hiking whereas the Rain Jacket is a climbing shell and the idea was for it to have a short(er) torso so that it doesn't get in the way of a harness. The rain jacket is lighter but if it doesn't fit, then it's not much good at adequately protecting you from the elements.

Otherwise, the jacket is really nice and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Raul Perez

@watermonkey

I have the ID Rain Jacket use it as a shell for the winter time. Very good breathability! It is cut snug so get a size up. I'm a medium and went with a large. I can layer a base layer and a fleece inside the jacket and thats pretty much it without it being super snug.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools