Topic

crampons and microspikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) crampons and microspikes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    gua foo

@yuanzhoulv

I have a pair of Black Diamond stainless steel crampons and also snowshoes and have used both.

What I *don't* have are microspikes, and I see all this talk about them. Every hiker here in New England seems to be talking about microspikes and many don't even have crampons. Is it really worth a $50 purchase for those easier trails that don't need crampons? How do they feel? What's so good about them? Or should I just forget about them and keep on using my crampons + snowshoes?

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

i don't have any microspikes, so take this for what its worth.
    they are designed for conditions when full crampons aren't necessary, such as a bit of snow and ice. most hikers/walkers aren't going to need full crampons and these are lighter and more flexible. they can be worn with trail running shoes, or just about any shoe. i think a lot of trail runners use them in the winter. since they slip on and off much easier than crampons, people use them in everyday life as well.
    I have a friend that wore some on a recent trip where there was some snow and ice on the trails and he liked them. he said he didn't really notice wearing them. he was wearing some trail running shoes.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have't compared, but have heard from many that micorspikes are especially good on mixed ground, rock, dirt, ice, …

Crampons are meant for a surface that is mostly ice and snow.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Microspikes

1. You can run in them.
    2. They fit on any footwear
    3. They're easy to pack and will not put holes in your gear or body.
    4. You will not cartwheel or put a two inch hole in your leg in the event of an uncontrolled fall. Crampons without training can be really dangerous.
    5. You don't have to take them on and off on mixed terrain…they hold up OK on dirt/rock stretches.
    6. You can run in them.

That said, they're probably really best for running/hiking existing trails that have been packed…not breaking trail or climbing.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi,

Micro spikes are very good, they are not a replacement for a crampon but they could save your neck during shoulder seasons.

Cheers,

Stephen

Anonymous
    Inactive

" Crampons without training can be really dangerous."

+1 And crampons with training can be really dangerous as well. The operative principle is DON'T FALL, because things start to come apart real fast once you lose control, training or no training. Just like with self arrest.

Beyond that, all the good things said about Micro Spikes are true, IME.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

"swiss mountaineering is very traditional … you cant run in crampons … thats just noooo" … ueli steck

next thing you know ueli is running up and down the eiger in crampons ….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWBbepsdmY&feature=player_embedded

as he said in another clip … "alors ill ne fault pas tombee" (so you must not fall)

microspikes and other copies have 3 main weakness
    – they dont have anti ball places … so you get cookies
    – they dont have front points … so you need to learn french
    – they arent as secure as a traditional set … so you need to be absolutely sure of the fit

but they weight a hell of a lot less …

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

I have the Kahtoola microspikes & love them. They are easy to put on or take off. They are light & they carry easily. They give great traction in icy snow or ice which is common here in the southeastern mountains. They are also very durable & as others have said, there is no problem walking on bare ground with them between patches of ice/snow.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

:-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"- they dont have front points … so you need to learn french"

Man, I wouldn't want to do French technique in Micro Spikes. I'm with Ueli all the way.

Ben Pearre
    BPL Member

@fugue137

I use Microspikes in the White Mountains in the USA all winter. I recently bought crampons as well, because I gather I’ll need them for some hikes I’m doing.

Microspikes are great. If you’re (very) careful, you can (just barely) walk up 30-degree transparent ice (not measured; may be steeper!). But if there’s any exposure, I wouldn’t. I have _not_ tried to get up in microspikes after an ice-axe self-arrest; I’m not sure how much harder that would be without front points, but I’m guessing it would cause problems—you might even have to do a self-arrest fall down to somewhere where you can stand up again, so, um, yeah.

They are, as others have said, highly effective, half a kilogram lighter than crampons, pack small, are unlikely to puncture gear in your bag, go on and off easily and quickly, and they pose little danger to the user or even those around you. Maybe get them, and carry both on some non-critical hikes?

My microspikes are older, and have performed flawlessly. I hear the quality at Kahtoola has gone downhill lately; Hillsound seems to have some really good-looking products in a similar weight range, but I haven’t used them.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

There is a recent thread with a Kahtoola rep stating any problems have been fixed in their microspikes.

Armand C
    BPL Member

@vb242

I keep a pair of Hillsound microspikes the bag all winter, and they are a blessing.

They allow you to go further, and hike more comfortably across terrain where full crampons and snowshoes may not make much sense.

Some groomed trails get super icy and microspikes get the job done well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools