Topic

BC Hunting Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities BC Hunting Gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hugh Bullock

@hughbull

OK, I am going to put this out there, knowing that this kinda stuff has generated some heat on the site . . .

I am preparing for my second elk bowhunt in Colorado's backcountry. Last hunt we never camped off the road, but this year we are backpacking into the sticks.

I am working on a gear list and am planning on upgrading some gear, both to drop weight and to increase comfort. I am a backpacker, but not avid, and a DIY-er. My bivy is a homemade tarptent, and I'm also considering some other homemade gear changes to lighten my load.

I'd appreciate some advice from others on the site who have done similar hunts. The #1 reason that I am here is that I have been looking into a new backpack that will handle hauling meat and am appalled that many weight 7+ lbs. Yes, I have read the thread on the Kirafu 5200 . . . And, I have also read the critique of the altered Badlands 2200 . . . and I am still posting, consider me a glutten for punishment or merely a really inquiring mind that is convinced that many on this site have something valued to contribute, hunters or not!

I am hoping to open this discussion up carte blanc, those of you who wish to contribute productively, please do, and please make sure that your buddies who do similar hunts know that this is here. If you just wanna gripe, it is a free country, but I am putting this on the Other Activities Forum . . . But, I do hope that this thread will be grounded in the spirit of backpacking light; how do I come up with an appropriate assemblage of gear that will be as light in weight as possible and still meet all of my needs, including hauling meat should I (or a hunting partner) be successful. Thanks.

Hugh Bullock
    East Tennessee

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

with the exception of the pack, I think you can glom onto almost any shoulder season Rockies gear list posted here for ideas on lightening your load

a bull elk is going to yield ~ 200-ish #'s of boned meat, cape & rack ~ 70 #-so even w/ two people you're looking at multiple trips (you've got your gear to haul out too!)- I'd want a pack that could handle 70 #'s or so, much more than that (particularly on steep, timbered ground) and it's going to pretty tough to handle

that eliminates most of the packs that we're typically using

for packs- Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Badlands, Eberlestock- the usual suspects :)

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

You could find a used Kelty or Camp Trails Frame and sew your own packbag for it out
    of lighter stuff.

Hugh Bullock

@hughbull

David,

I have been checking out several packs by the makers that you suggest. Do you have a personal favorite?

I think the lightest weight model that I have been considering is a Eberlestock Just One. I kinda like the idea of using a very light weight bag of camp gear to add capacity without adding much weight on the daily hunting pack. The Kirafu UL's are lighter, but I have difficulty dropping more $ for my backpack than I paid for either my bow or my rifle!

Thanks for your input.

Hugh

Jared Flater

@jared_04

Don't over look KUIU, they have a new carbon fiber frame pack coming out and it looks very very nice. KUIU.com and check out the blog.

Chris H
    BPL Member

@nxp

Locale: Upper Midwest

My main pack is a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with a Longbow – and while it is light (relatively speaking for a hunting pack), it's nothing like those on this site.

If you look at the weights of the frames only on some of the larger packs, you'll still be in the 4# range with most of them – my NICE frame weighs about 4.3#, the Kifaru G2 Hauler frame weighs about the same. By swapping out the heavy fabric in the packs with silnylon drysacks you'll save a fair amount of weight and still have your heavy duty frame.

Another option to consider would be something like the REI 85XT – it's not as robust as an MR/Kifaru style pack, but it's much larger for it's size. Clever use of scissors and some patience could get it down under the 4# mark I bet.

I thought ULA had a load carrier style pack also – whether or not it will stand up to the abuse of a few pieces of elk is a good question.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Hugh,

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but maybe this is useful. I have size large K2 Loadmaster Shortbed (designed by Dana), purchased 1997 or 1998. Was thinking about posting it on gear swap in a week or so (no, I'm not the guy who double-posted one of these here and on eBay a few weeks back). A little wear and tear, but nothing major. External frame, so the packbag is easy to remove and potentially substitute something lighter. About 7.5# empty.

PM me if interested.

Michael Pinkus

@mpinkus

Locale: Western Canada

Hi Hugh,

I'm currently looking for the same thing. I just came across the Granite Gear Stratus Flatbed. It says it can take up to 70 pounds. I was thinking of modifying my Ray Way pack to attach to it. I'm off for elk this year in the Canadian Rockies.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools