Topic

Bivy VS. Bag Liner?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy VS. Bag Liner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

Keep in mind I’m just thinking out loud here.

The current sleeping system I am using consists of the following. 1. Suluk 46 1/8” Plastazote Ground Sheet. 2. Suluk 46 1/2" Plastazote Frame Sheet. 3. 32º enLightened EQ Epiphany Quilt. 4. MYOG Cuben/Momentum 90 Bivy Sack with Nanoseeum netting.

Now I’m thinking of replacing the MYOG Cuben/Momentum 90 Bivy Sack with a MYOG Momentum 50 Bag Liner. Here are my thoughs behind this. 1. The quilt is made of Cuben Fiber which makes it pretty water resistant. 2. My tarp has enough coverage that my bivy never gets wet (at all). 3. I could increase the quilts venting options by having it not confined inside of a bivy sack. 4. I already carry a head net, making that part of the bivy redundant. 5. The only reasons I’ve been using a bivy is to reduce drafts (which the liner would do) and bug protection (I have a bug net). And finally 6. I would save just under 3 ounces.

So what are your thoughts? What are (if any) the holes in my logic?

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

Seems like you have most of your bases covered…I think the "being able to adjust the quilt for venting" piece of the puzzle would be especially valuable in that equation, that's one component that has kept me from bivy-ing – being constricted in the sack to where I couldn't as easily throw open a quilt/bag.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools