Topic

My new Esbit cook stove kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My new Esbit cook stove kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have been searching for a integrated Esbit stove wind screen/ pot combo that like a jet boil set up.I want something more durable than the Beer can stove with lees parts.

Well I received in the mail today a stove/cookset manufactured by Esbit called the Esbit stove/ cook set model # CS585HA I paid $25.46 cent from campsavers plus shipping. The kit includes a stove windscreen with a 583 ml nesting pot with lid that nests in the stove and a carrying sack like a jet boil.

The wind screen/stove stores in the pot when not in use. The stove fits in a pot that measures 3 5/8 " wide and 4 1/8" tall it weighs 6.95 oz over all for both the stove/ pot combo. The pot/ stove combo comes packed in a durable Black vented jersey material bag that is pretty nice compared to the frail netting bags most stoves or pots come packed in.

The stove/pot combo is pretty efficient way to cook I used half a tab of esbit was able to get 12 oz water to start boiling in about 6 minutes for some tea in my kitchen. I was blowing from all directions to see how the stove/ wind screen combo worked also it did a pretty good job.

After the half of a esbit tab burned out I did notice their was only little soot on only the bottom of the pot only instead of up the sides of the pot like most systems. Because of the the pot stove/windscreen nesting system. I am really happy with the set up it weighs about the same as my trangia set up for alcohol. I think I will make a mini altoids tin stove to place in the stove wind screen pot combo for back up when I can't find esbit fuel.

Here a link to Esbit: http://www.agsbrands.com/outdoors.html
    A you tube look at the stove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHuFoujR1iU&feature=related

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nice looking combo. I'm looking at getting a Caldera Cone titanium "Sidwinder" kit W/alky burner/ESBIT holder and Inferno wood burner.

I love ESBIT and once did a 7 day Grand Canyon trip using FireLite tabs on my Vargo Triad base, 1 L. pot and MSR windscreen.

FUEL TABS! The best UL fuel going (other than found wood).

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

It's good to see you got an efficient boil. The reviews I've seen/read generally don't seem to like this stove.

Esbit/hexamine is one of my favorite fuels too. Very happy with my classic folding stove.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

they (Esbit) are doing themselves a disservice- they list that stove at 20 oz on the site you have listed :)

that's a good boil time

I wonder if you could use wood in it?

ziff house

@mrultralite

just don't get Esbit, look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1xohmhFs0I&feature=related

I can't see how he screwed that up, but…. i've been on long trips, cooked supper every night and folks still look at me puzzled at the end of the trip when i tell them about Esbit.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

>>they (Esbit) are doing themselves a disservice- they list that stove at 20 oz on the site you have listed :)

I think it's 20 oz capacity for the pot…

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

20 fluid capacity for the liquid held in the in the pot. Esbit does make a larger pot/stove combo .

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I just ordered a 2 qt setup for the sidewinder.

I am going to see what I can do with 6 cups of water and an esbit tab. If I can actually boil that amount for FBC with one tab, that would be a huge win weight wise. Even at two tabs its not all bad.

I went ahead and got the inferno option so I can try that out as well. I was thinking perhaps one tab and some sticks might get me what I need and with a few back up tabs on a week long trip, then I should be fine.

Just want to play with it early this year before I take a stove on the jmt. Cooking for 3 has me kind of limited.

so far the only viable option seems to be a canister stove, I cant get alcohol to ever work out weight wise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools