Topic

Stormproof Light Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stormproof Light Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Richard Malpass
    Spectator

@earthling4469a

Locale: Australia, Planet Earth,

After my last hiking trip and having 8-10" of rain dump on us over the 5 days I am not going to wear my Montane Atomic DT Jacket (8.5oz) any more. It leaked very, very badly. First real test for it too. End of each day my top underneath was very wet…and it wasnt from sweat. Getting home we got out the hose and after only 30seconds it was spot leaking through the zipper and over the shoulders and back…

Hence Im looking for a stormproof jacket that doesnt weigh a ton.

I will be wearing it mainly in cold temps with wind driven rain.
    I am gentle on my gear so it doesnt have to be heavy duty, but it has to be very waterproof, including sealed zippers.

Thoughts?

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

i just picket up a ranier storm shell for 100 bucks on ebay new with tags for that very reason. love the jacket, but would be hard to pay 350 full price for it. bombproof in the shower…a great place to test jackets so that you dont get a fail in the field.

20k/20k specs say.

there is one on eddie bauer clearance for 91 bucks right now this AM…its an XL tall but a good price.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This jacket uses the microporous Entrant DT Type 1000 membrane with a hydrostatic head of 10,000 mm. The claim for the new WPB options, such as NeoShell, is that what you really need is increased breathability compared to eVent which has a hydrostatic head averaging 28,000 mm. Hint, hint – the US Gov tests show > 17,586 mm hydrostatic head is needed to keep you dry in true rain and all membranes become more porous over time.

This is only the first of the disappointed users who buy into the marketing hype that a hydrostatic head of 10,000 mm is fine for true rain.

As the pore sizes are increased for more breathability then the hydrostatic head will be reduced proportionately. You need to aware of the conscious trade off you make when you select a more porous nemesis. Hint, hint zippers allow you to vent without having water push through a WPB layer.

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Malpass
    Spectator

@earthling4469a

Locale: Australia, Planet Earth,

Thanks Kramer, a nice jacket but starting to get heavy at 16oz.

Thanks Nisley, some good info there. certainly made me put my thinking cap on first thing this morning :)

I did some more research re: 20k/20k and coatings etc and it seems I need a jacket with a waterproof membrane, with sealed zips and a nice 20k rating with some breathabilty would be nice, oh and pitzips if available…

I jumped on Backcountry chat and the guy there offered these options:

http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-rain-shadow-jacket-mens

http://www.backcountry.com/arcteryx-beta-sl-jacket-mens

Thoughts and any other light weight suggestions?

Brian Gentry

@treegreen

Outdoor Research makes some very nice 2-layer / 2.5 layer / 3 layer Gore or Pertex shells that may be worth looking into (e.g. http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_helium_jacket.html). The Beta SL is a solid jacket and I think you'd be pleased with it, but any more their "best" stuff comes out of Canada and is way more expensive. 3-L shells like these may "wet out" but they won't soak through the membrane, at least not in my experience, and a some spray on DWR will make them bead up that water again meaning you'll use them for a long time.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Montbell Trekker – I own one.Pitzips too.
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=59&p_id=2328266
    * 3-layer Breeze Dry-Tecâ„¢ technology
    * 40-denier full-dull rip-stop nylon
    * Water resistance: 25,000 mm
    * Breathability: 15,000 g/m²/24 hrs
    * Size: S/ M/ L/ XL
    * Color: DKIV(Dark Ivy)/ RDBR(Red Brick)
    * Weight (size med): 13.0 oz.
    Compressed: 3.5’’ x 3.5’’ x 6.9’’ (stuff sack included)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Thoughts?"

Maybe take a look at the Integral Designs Event jacket. Very simple, very breathable, ~10.5 oz in a medium, it's been a great jacket for me.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

And I finally settled on an Arcteryx Alpha LT, but after having thoroughly tested the following waterproof shells:

Marmot Super Mica (membrain, 25k, ~8oz)
    Mountain Hardwear Xenon (now Amalgam) shell (Goretex Paclite 70 denier, 30K, ~19oz)
    Patagonia Spramaster (H2no, ~11.8 oz, no pit zips)
    Patagonia Rain Shadow (H2no, ~13oz)

I have found that the combination of lightweight AND Durable is actually possible with the Alpha LT. 13oz, Goretex Proshell, 320 Denier face fabric that is soft but very, very durable. Sure, it doesn't breathe a well as Event, but for the combination of durability and weight, I find it hard to beat. I've skied dozens of days in the Wasatch with it, scaped it against granite, and have had it dumped on with every type of precip. And it still looks new.

And the hood is by far the best hood I have ever used. Super functional.

It just costs a grip ($400-500), but if you can get it under $300, its a steal.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

Haven't yet tested it in real rain but I like the Montbell versalite:
    link to montbell

Supposedly 22k waterproof,12k breathable, less than 10oz with pit zips and hood…

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

"US Gov tests show > 17,586 mm hydrostatic head is needed to keep you dry in true rain"

Not to pull too far off the OP, but: This makes me wonder about the waterproofness of tent flys & floors w/1200mm pu coat… and how/if the thickness of pu coat translates in any way to hydrostatic head, & what those numbers would be…

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

1. no pit zips, short hem. i would look at the Alpha Sl pullover or Alpha SL jacket.
    2. no Paclite jacket from Arc`teryx is made in Canada….

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

"his jacket uses the microporous Entrant DT Type 1000 membrane with a hydrostatic head of 10,000 mm. The claim for the new WPB options, such as NeoShell, is that what you really need is increased breathability compared to eVent which has a hydrostatic head averaging 28,000 mm. Hint, hint – the US Gov tests show > 17,586 mm hydrostatic head is needed to keep you dry in true rain and all membranes become more porous over time.

This is only the first of the disappointed users who buy into the marketing hype that a hydrostatic head of 10,000 mm is fine for true rain."

what kind of rain is this? Paramo is viewed as rainproof with a hydrostatic head of 150cm, the british standard for waterproofness is much lower than 10,000, and had seemed to me to be viewed as excessive for mere rain protection. I had thought USA rain was milder than UK rain,

James Horner

@jbob19

Locale: Ontario

After researching this myself I have decided on the Westcomb Specter Lt. This jacket is perfect for what I want, A truly lightweight WATERPROOF breathable jacket.

11 oz size medium, 13.05 oz size XL
    eVent waterproof breathable construction

My only problem is I ordered the XL and it is too big. I am selling the XL and looking for a large. If your interested in the XL PM me.

$300 new and I am selling it for $250 shipping included.

Erik Kolesar

@burningdaylight

Locale: North Metro, Atlanta

You might want to check out the Red Ledge product line. I love my rain shell. I have one of these Unisex Thunderlight Jacket #A080 and it has kept me dry in whatever; long dog walks in the pouring rain(my aussie needs his walks), unloading trucks at work in the pouring rain, and this year playing in the snow.I have seen some of their products at Sports Authority(they sell mountain hardwear online?)they may not be as cool as others listed, but it seems to be very watertight and around $40. Found mine at the Goodwill for $5. http://www.redledge.com/products/view/id/113.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I also have one of these that hasn't had a good rain test yet. Hope mine does better. Time for a shower test I think.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

My Oregon Research Helium rain jacket just came in the mail today, my latest plan for CDT rainwear later this year. Listed weight is 6.8 oz for size large, which is what attracted me to this particular option. I measure the actual weight (I got a size large) at 7.1 oz, FWIW (200 grams even). Looks pretty good; I haven't taken it into the shower yet or anything (and it was a sunny day today), but I'm optimistic.

I reckon that if it's as rainy on trail as it was for friends in 2009, I expect I'll have to reapply the DWR once or twice along the way, and I wish I had pit zips (that magically added no weight …). The thing that pushed me to this option was when I realized that this thing can also replace my windshirt, saving another 2+ oz.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the helium hasnt replaced my windshirt … part of the reason is because a widshirt is much cheaper and i can tear it up against the rock … the other part is because it isnt as breathable

i find the trick to using the helium and any other rain jacket ive used so far … is to ventilate with the main zip and have quick drying base layer under it

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

if the 17000mm figure is correct in the real world (or even just in parts of USA): rather than trade breathability for hydrostatic head, why not wear a windproof over the very breathable "waterproof" membrane (such as neo-air): this would act similarly to animal furs "guard hairs" by absorbing the impact of rain drops, reducing the hydrostatic head needed. (this is part of how paramo works)

The British standard seems to requires only 1500mm in waterproof material: 17000 seems a lot higher, how lightly are the conditions causing this, how much of a real world test was it?

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

have read this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=42687&startat=20
    perhaps usa rain can be worse(than UK)

Guard shell seems more useful: or perhaps carry high hydrostatic hood and arms just for such heavy rain (wear over normal waterproof)

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

the first ascent BC-200 looks bomber

20k/25k!

no pit zips, but at 25k maybe you don't notice as much?

11oz

under $200 this week on sale.

i dont work for eb, but love their stuff when it goes on sale. this jacket looks to be the best in the fa line as far as shells.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools