Topic

SHT recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SHT recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Planning on being in Wisconsin in early October and doing a section of the SHT while in that part of the country. Looking for recommendations on the most scenic, and possibly rugged sections. I'll have likely close to a week and would like to to do a 100-120 mile section. Hoping for great vistas over the lake and with a trailhead that would be shuttle accessible.

Thanks.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Edit- I just saw that you were talking about Wisconsin, not the Sierras…Sorry.

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

I don't think you could go wrong doing any chunk of the Superior Hiking Trail between Goosberry Falls and Judge Magney State Park. The trail has been extended farther south (between Two Harbors and Duluth), but in my experience those sections are a little flatter with fewer outlooks, rivers, etc. Also, the northermost 20 miles or so are perhaps most remote, but the trail cuts inland for this portion and has fewer hilights with much tougher shuttle logistics in my opinion. So, the "middle 3/4s" of the trail is my favorite, and I've found other people tend to agree. Generaly speaking, I see more people on the southern half of the trail, which makes sense since it is closer to the larger towns and cities to the south. If you go to shta.org you should be able to find trail descriptions and links to shuttle services and lodging (if you need either).

hope this helps,

Matt

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Adding to Matt's info:

* I think most folks would consider Silver Bay to MN Hwy 1 to be the most rugged
    * my own favorite short stretch would be Lutsen to Cascade River

Silver Bay to Cascade River is about 100 miles
    Split River Wayside to Cascade River would be about 120 miles

Both of those options are served by the shuttle.

There are a lot of frequent SHT trail users inhabiting the "hiker" yahoo group who will also respond to questions.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

What both Matt and Jim said would be my sentiments as well. Join the Yahoo group for any questions – the folks on there are very helpful and expedient with said help.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

All,

Thanks or the insight. I'll be getting the guidebook and checking out those sections. Good to hear they are not all the way up north. I grew up on the Canadian side of the lake and have not been back in many years it will be quite something to spend a week on its shores again.

MG

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools