Topic

GSI Ketalist?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GSI Ketalist?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Is anyone using this? I haven't found the weight for the kettle minus the accessories. Is it the same kettle they had out before they introduced the kit? Looks pretty ergonomic (spout, bail, no need to lift lid) for when tired or at a poor campsite. Also, has anyone tried corking a kettle for efficiency or to keep water from tasting like smoke? (Friends sometimes build a campfire.)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The kettle is basically the same. If you don't need the accessories just get the kettle and save a few $$ and weight. The kettle in itself is a great tool and works well on alchy stoves sch as Whiteboxes.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Local gear shop, mountainsports.com, had 3 versions of the gsi anodized kettle. I observed minor scratches through the surface, imprecise placement of rivets, and variances in lid fit (tightness/looseness) within the same version, but nothing likely to ruin a trip. I think they are all just under 6oz. There are some differences in versions (v1, v2, v3 are just my names):

v1: ~$20 (last one on sale for ~$10), small lid/entry, infusion basket, bail wire handle has molded plastic grip, bottom is crimped to wall of vessel, 0.8L claimed.
    v2: ~$20, larger lid/entry, silicon tube over bail wire handle, one piece base, 1L claimed.
    v3: Ketalist set ~$30, largest lid/entry, includes nesting sippy cup, bowl, spork, and sack, otherwise same as v2.

I purchased v2. It will hold 1L, but precariously. Closer to 3 cups is more realistic and ample for solo travel (or OK for duo) imho.

Neil McGee
    Spectator

@thegreatclod

Locale: Northeast, East Asia

I'm off to China in a few weeks, and I just purchased a new GSI Hae Tea Kettle online from REI for ~$23 (prices are on the rise, folks…). I think this is essentially the same kettle as ships in the Kettlist set. The Hae weighs in at 5.75oz, and has a 2qt capacity (~0.95 liters). The manufacturing is solid on mine – the lid fits snug without much rattle. The mouth is wide enough to fit my Whitebox stove, primer pan, shield, my Sea to Summit collapsible mug, a 3oz bottle of Heet, and cleanup supplies. I just wish it came with a lw drawstring bag to throw it in my pack. Suggestions on what to put it in are welcome!

Clod

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yeah, 3 cups is about it. You can push 4 cups but you have to watch it when it boils – you can get some spurting.

V1 was the original. When V2 came out they dumped 1. 2 has a wider mouth (opening) and tea infuser). I like 2 better than V1 IMO. V2 also has a much better handle.

I have all 3 versions.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Sarah, Only the v1 (by my count/observation) has a basket, so perhaps I started count at your v2. Somewhere our numbering must not line up.

Neil, Check your metric to US conversion. Nice kit. I slid my kettle inside a knit hat, which I'll wear while cooking. I should put a plastic bag between the 2, if I cook on wood. I may have time in camp to weave a drawstring into the edge of the hat for a proper stuff sack.

Inside my kettle is a 110g canister, giga power stove, lighter, matches (in plastic), cloth napkin, teabags (in plastic), and decaf crystals (in rx bottle). My Ziploc screw top bowl doesn't nest, but I plan to finish my oatmeal on the trail. I'll drink out of a 1/2L nalgene.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

A friend of mine has the Soloist set, and she finds that the wide mouth mug/bowl doesn't work very well—food cools off very quickly, awkward to drink from. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the mugs are at least similar if not identical. I'd pass on the kit, and figure out something that nests but functions better as a serving set.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yeah, I didn't write that very clearly. Sorry!! Baby was sitting on lap and not helping me type.

Anyhow, yeah I meant the diffuser was with V1. I tossed that right away ;-) Saved a good chunk of weight.

The bowl/mug that comes with V3 (the set) is the standard GSI mug/bowl. I like them but not everyone does. I hate the spork though. That thing is god awful!

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

kettle

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I'm a big fan of the kettle, it's wide, stable, and light. I pair it with a primus spider express for winter trips. The huge opening and wide base makes melting snow easy. If packed correctly, I can squeeze in the stove, windscreen, and the smallest snowpeak gas can all inside.

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

I noticed in my V3 kettle the bowl and mug set is smaller then the bowl and mug set I got with my pinnacle dualist. I actually prefer the smaller set since it doesn't feel as awkward in my hands. I wonder if you buy them individually which size do you get.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I believe that the set in V3 is the same as set in the Soloist. Why the don't sell them separately is beyond me! The sell the larger 20-ounce set and the 14-ounce triangle shaped one, but not the smaller round set.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools