Topic

lighter than Crocs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lighter than Crocs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    D L
    BPL Member

@lamanite

Locale: Pacific NW

I’m tired of lugging around my Teva’s on longer trips for camp shoes. They are great for my feet for lounging around camp and doing some exploring around the campsite, but I’ve been looking for something lighter that is not flip-flop based. Today I ordered my first pair of Nothinz clogs, which are like Crocs, but seem to be better in some regards:
    -supposedly weigh less – 5-6oz (I will let you know when I get them on my scale)
    -supposedly sturdier and more durable

Anyone else already using Nothinz?

Jan McMillion

@mommyveggie

My partner and I wear Nottinz exclusivly to hike in! We’ve completed the Ga. AT in them so far. He wears the “green” insert in his for extra support, I wear just my X-socks (which are fabulous BTW). My feet don’t roll, they don’t slip or slide. They have a wide base and are very shock absorbing.
    I discovered them when I was getting blisters and hot spots with a 28lb pack.
    Now my feet are happy.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jan, how much do they weigh?

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Anybody able to compare them to Crocs in fit? I’m on the top of the scale (Men’s 13) and I find Crocs too snug. Are the Nothingz roomier inside??

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Curt,

You know you can get the crocs (the Beach) up to XXXXL size in Black. I don’t wear that size but have that size for another reason. The XXXXL weigh 238.4 grams or 8.28 ounces each.

I have a pair of the new “Off-Road” crocs in size 9 but they blisted the top of my second toe on each foot. My foot doesn’t fit the front shape of any of the crocs.

D L
    BPL Member

@lamanite

Locale: Pacific NW

I got my Nothinz on a scale today: Size 10 – 5.8oz per slipper. I was actually hoping they would be lighter, but they are still 1/2 lb lighter than my Teva’s. Anyone have a comparison weight for Crocs?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

..according to the website. Size unknown.
    http://www.crocs.com/products/footwear/why.jsp
    But they are ugly as heck IMHO; Ill stay with my reef shoes for now.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

But they are ugly as heck IMHO;

WHAT? You don’t want to look like Mickey Mouse? :-)

Doesn’t bother me, but then I don’t worry that with the bill I added to my yellow SD Silponcho, folks tell me it makes me look like Big Bird

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

My Crocs size 10 are right around 12 oz. for the pair. Not really significantly heavier.

I am surprised more and more by the amount of light and ultra light backpackers that give so much attention to what something “looks” like on this board. Generally that is the last thing that would concern me behind weight, function, multiple use, durability…etc., etc. Whether a jacket has an unstylish “checkerboard” appearance or shoes look like “mickey mouse” I could care less. I doubt anything in the woods cares what I look like either.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Look any way you care to–just don’t scare me ;-)

My alltime oddly dressed hiker encounter was a fellow dressed as some sort of Robin Hood/Peter Pan cross, roaming the Emigrant Wilderness backcountry (poaching crystals). And it wasn’t Michael Jackson.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

My Crocs are 12oz too.

I went through listings for dozens of shoes and even the lightest running flats aren’t much lighter than the molded resin shoes like Crocs, Nuthinz, Holeys, Waldies, and all the knock-offs.

I saw a listing for the Crocs Nile model, which comes in sizes to women’s 11 US, which would fit a lot of men. It should be a little lighter as it is an open toe desing– more of a sandal. I think the Motion model looks interesting– it may be new. It has a toe cap that looks more trail friendly, but I would expect it to be tiny bit heavier than the Beach or Cayman models. The Off Road is another interesting one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools