Topic

MYOG Material Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Material Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hello Everyone,

I have been kicking around the idea of selling MYOG materials and would like to hear some suggestions what you would like to see offered.

I am thinking grosgrain in 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1 1/2".

Flat Nylon webbing in 3/4", 1", 1 1/2" and 2"

Flat Polyester webbing in 3/4", 1", 1 1/2" and 2"

Draw Cord and Shock Cord, Cord Locks, Mini Cord Locks, D rings, Ladder Locks, Line Locs, Side Release Buckles

Silnylon, Cuben Fiber, 70D Ripstops, Adhesive Transfer Tape, Thread, ETC.

I look forward to any and all feedback.

Thanks,
    Lawson

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Since there's already a couple good small companies that sell those things, I buy those materials based largely on price. You might win some sales if you provided better information, such as ensuring that a particular webbing will with your ladder locks, or that your adhesive tape is backed by your long term experience with it.

Now if you could source some new material, that might make things interesting. Materials like ultralight wool that would be appropriate for summer long sleeve t-shirts, nylon like the Thorofare pants and 10D or lighter downproof fabric even if it doesn't have a DWR treatment.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Add 1/2" webbing and ladder locks and side release buckles sized for 1/2" webbing. Plus camlock buckles that work with 1/2" and 3/4" grosgrain if you can source them.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Hardware and roll goods don't really interest me just due to the fact there are about 20 other places to get that stuff. Although I would love to see someone sell some Lil Locksters – those are hard to find. I would buy 50 of those today.

I would like to see more people offer:
    cuben by the yard
    210D dyneema gridstop
    10d or 20d nylon
    4 way stretch mesh

I also see a lot of people ask for 3D Mesh too. Competition only benefits the consumer.

Ryan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Since there are already some established vendors in this small niche market, you might want to state what you are bringing to the party. That is, how does your company distinguish itself from the others?

–B.G.–

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

1/2" webbing and hardwear
    Dimension-Polyant fabrics (VX-21 and lighter)
    Pertex Microlight and Quantum
    Cuben (of course)

I think some room exists in the market.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

>Since there are already some established vendors in this small niche market, you might want to state what you are bringing to the party.

+1

There are three ways I see a MYOG material retailer being able to distinguish themselves:

1. Offer exclusive materials

2. Offer an extremely wide array of materials (one-stop-shop)

3. Offer materials at a lower prices

If I were contemplating it, the only attractive option would be #1. #2 would take a lot of investment. Presuming that your costs would be about the same as existing companies, #3 drives you into a price war and super-thin margins. Personally, I'd rather pay a couple more bucks per yd for fabric if I know I'm not starving the shop that's selling it to me.

Can you get your hands on some eVent? ;)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I agree with other posters that some info on what works with what and some personal experience with the product would be helpful. I know you have a lot of experience and have been impressed with your info and willingness to share it. I think that experience and info adds a lot to the product.

Here's an example from my experience to show what I mean.

My favorite buckle/web combo is 1/2" nylon webbing with 5/8" quick release adjustble ladderlock buckles. 5/8" webbing also works with 5/8" buckles, of course, but works more stiffly than the 1/2". Breaking strength for the 5/8" buckle is X lbs and breaking strength for the 1/2 inch nylon webbing is X lbs.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree there is quite a bit of competition in this area so I hope my prices, customer service, BPL forum input, shipping rates and quality of materials will give me some sort of advantage. I plan to start off with materials I currently stock and then go from there. But before I do all the work to set up a section on my website I wanted to know if there was any interest. It sounds like there is not much which really surprises me considering the high prices some of these shops are charging. Not to pick on anyone but $.70 a yard for 3/4" grosgrain at Thru-Hiker. You can buy it from me, resell it for $.66 a yard and your prices would be cheaper and still double your money..

Grosgrain Prices Per Yard:
    3/8" $.27
    1/2" $.28
    3/4" $.33
    1" $.37
    1 1/2" $.46

Round Draw Cord Prices Per Yard:
    1/16" Polyester $.15
    3/32" Nylon $.20

Lil Lockster 3/4" Buckles; $.35
    Mini Cord Locks $.20

3D Spacer mesh 3.5mm thick; Sold by the inch, foot or yard??

I need to see what else I currently have in stock but I hope this gives an idea of pricing.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Lawson-

I think there is some interest and would encourage you to offer some items. You have some things going for you that places like Thru-hiker and others do not. Now then, about those (50) Lil Locksters…Ready whenever you are.

Ryan

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Lawson, I think there is definitely room for competition. The other companies are marked by high prices, poor ecomerce sites and other "issues". I would prefer to buy from elsewhere…

Another vote for stocking dyneema gridstop and xpac.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Lawson,

"It sounds like there is not much which really surprises me…"

Get it up and running on your site and I'll be there to place an order. The projected prices in your post have me waiting in the wings to place my order.

Things that I would look for would be the Dimension Polyant XPAC, 4 oz PU/DWR nylon Oxford, down proof .9 oz breathable ripstop, synthetic insulation like Climashield that doesn't require quilting, silnylon, CT2K.08 .75oz cuben fiber, and Gutermann polyester thread on the mini cones.

It is the prices on Cuben that have kept me from trying it out on shelters and packs.

People this man backs up what he sells! He is offering us MYOG types what we need for less! He will also work with you on custom orders at a fair price for the stuff that he manufactures. Plus he'll ship for free in the U.S. if you spend $20.00 or more.

The last time I ordered MYOG supplies for a project I spent over $55.00 and almost $5.00 of that was shipping. Just the savings in shipping alone can reduce the cost per item ordered even if his price is the same as long as you spend the $20.00.

Bring it on Lawson! I have a list of items that I was getting ready to place an order for with another vendor. I can wait for a little while until you're ready.

Party On,

Newton

drowning in spam

@leaftye

There have been quite a few people waiting for Climashield Apex.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Lawson

> Not to pick on anyone but $.70 a yard for 3/4" grosgrain at Thru-Hiker. You can buy it from me, resell it
    > for $.66 a yard and your prices would be cheaper and still double your money..

Ah yes, but … I suspect you have not factored in ANY overheads. Suppose you had to hire someone else to do all the order handling: then you would quickly discover what it really costs. For small items, it very often costs more for the handling than for the goods themselves.

Anyhow, the market is already quite full of vendors. Competing in that arena is excessively hard work. Don't bother.

Now, if you have the capital, one place you could really do a LOT of business would be importing good UL Si/PU coated fabrics from Asia. Stock American silnylon is just too porous to be acceptable any more, and I KNOW that one can get really goods UL waterproof fabrics in Asia. My problem is that they will only sell it by the (big) roll.

Things you would have to watch out for:
    * You would need to use an escrow system at first and check EVERY roll of fabric for water pressure rating. You can NOT trust them to meet specs.
    * You would need to make it clear on your web site that this fabric is not being sold for tents as it won't meet those ridiculously stupid fire-safety regulations applicable in some States.
    * Cut fabric is always sold on a no-return basis.

Cheers
    PS: you get good fabric, I will buy.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

As a few posters have said it makes the most sense to offer exclusive materials. So maybe I will start off with Xpac, Cuben Fiber, and Silnylon. Any preference of colors? Do you guy's prefer 1sts or 2nds? How about 1sts at 2nds prices :)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Roger said * You would need to use an escrow system at first and check EVERY roll of fabric for water pressure rating. You can NOT trust them to meet specs.

Ditto that … and it has nothing to do with which continent the fabric comes from. We have friends who wanted to get into the clothing design/manufacturing business 30 years ago.

The fabric received from a domestic weaver LOOKED just like the samples but exceeded shrinkage spec by about 300% … discovered after the fabric was cut. A couple years later and many many thousands $$ in expert and legal fees later they were able to limit their losses (not eliminate them).

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Roger,

Thanks for the input but I am not interested in buying Asian made silnylon.

I have heard you talk highly of the Asian silnylon on several occasions and it just so happens that a guy emailed me last week trying to sell me Chinese silnylon for $1.15 a yard. He had a 1,000 yard minimum and worked with quite a few sewing factories. I will see if I can find his contact info for you so you can look into bringing your tent design to market. I am sure they would be less then $20.00 a piece done.. You could turn around and sell them for $500.00 each and I am sure after all the overhead there would be more then enough profit left over.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Dark colors! grey… Black…

drowning in spam

@leaftye

If I had to pick a single color for all three materials, it would be light gray. If 2nd's only means the color is messed up, then I'm totally okay with that.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

I would LOVE to see some woven 100% dyneema/spectra (not gridstop) offered in several weights.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Lawson

> I will see if I can find his contact info for you
    That would be very nice, thank you.

Cheers

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

1/16" shockcord (not the round elastic i can get local) at a fair price would make me happy.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I inquired about this stuff a month or so back. Your talking $60.00 a yard with a 500 yard minimum at the mill. I am not sure where Dan McHale is getting it but from what understand thats about the "standard" price.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

maybe offer better kits than the other sites. Tarps, clothing, packs, quilts

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Lawson,

+1 on rare materials like Xpac, cuben fiber in all its various forms, dyneema X, (eVent…?!), maybe some nice Schoeller softshells, etc

Basically anything people are having a hard time finding. It doesn't seem to make much sense (for you) to just duplicate what the other vendors are selling. As a consumer competition helps though.

Also maybe some nice gaiter hooks, better than those flat ones like Quest sells which saw through shoelaces.

Good luck.
    Andy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools