Topic

JMT Permit Info

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips JMT Permit Info

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    brian blair

@donkey

Locale: Silverado Canyon

Howdy-

I'm in the process of planning a JMT trip for early/mid-august. I've been scouring the web for permit acquisition info and can't quite figure out the procedure.

I plan to start in Yosemite and finish at Whitney Portal. Which agency do I need to get a permit through? If the permit comes from the NPS do I need a Whitney zone permit as well??

Thanks for any help!

BB

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

This should answer all your questions: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

You do not need a separate permit to exit over Whitney.

John Lundemo
    Spectator

@jibbs

Locale: Nevada

so I was wondering if you can reserve more than 24 weeks in advance? Like a year? I just bought the JMT Trail book and after glancing through it, it seems like a pain to get permits and everything to hike the trail. its almost enough to deter me from even trying.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

John, Don't get too discouraged, but you do have to be kind of 'on your game' and know the rules to getting your permits from various agencies. You are only allowed to get your permits 24 weeks in advance from Yosemite. How flexible are you on routes and time? If there are any left for your time frame, you can get your permits from Inyo Nat'l Forest 6 months in advance and hike from Reds Meadow to Happy Isles, then take the YARTS back and hike Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal. I have found permitting much easier from Inyo. If you are not 'locked in' to the whole JMT, permits are easier to get from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal. You can also start at alternate trailheads out of Yosemite. I think the key is to research your options and be flexible with a date. Good Luck.

By the way, when were you looking at going? I am shooting for mid-August and if you are out there we may run into one another. There are also other sites that have JMT hiking groups ie; Trailjournals, YahooJMT ect.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I got a permit this morning starting at Piute Pass on Aug 6.

I was on hold for 5-10 minutes, but no problem.

That's probably a lot different than trying to get a permit starting at HI…….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools