Topic

for those wondering about tarp camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion for those wondering about tarp camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

And you could be warming your hands over a wood stove sipping hot chocolate watching the storm pass. Hard to beat a tarp in most circumstances.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Good stuff right there!

David Ure

@familyguy

Not just any tarp – a 4 season mid, actually.

kevin smith

@divr6347

all i can say is that has to be one bad azz tarp

kevin

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes – and on sale at STP right now….

kevin smith

@divr6347

on sale at stp and advertised as a 3 season shelter

David Ure

@familyguy

Right Kevin – Must be made out unobtanium.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Y'all keep saying something is on sale at STP yet don't once mention what tarp that is..lol.

David Ure

@familyguy

Right here John.:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,3233V_Sierra-Designs-Origami-2-Ultralight-Tarp-2-Person-3-Season.html

Based on my experience with MLD Mids, I would consider this 'tarp' a 4 season shelter because of the coverage. On several forums, folks have put stove jacks in these things and used them deep in snowy conditions.

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

David,

I thought that was what you were referring to, but as I have no experience with mids…

The MLD mids appear to have steeper side walls – wouldn't they handle snow loads better than the Sierra Designs Origami? (Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have almmost no snow experience, either)

Jason

David Ure

@familyguy

I am not sure Jason. I know that the larger SuperMid would be similar with respect to angle steepness. I see that the SD has mid point guylines all the way around so that should be pretty robust. Frankly, however, if you are expecting a LOT of snow, I would use something other than a mid. YMMV.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools