Topic

Kooka Bay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kooka Bay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I'm pretty sure Kookabay is just one guy.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

@aaron, the company is 1 guy. still a company. still got the OP's money. STILL hasn't given him the product he advertised and sold him…

imo it's good to have a blast of a cottage gear guy from time-to-time. people sometimes form little protective cults around them b/c they got a sweet product – and make excuses for them when they don't deliver on something. threads like this need to exist to keep everyone honest.

kudos to the OP for posting it.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Don't get me wrong- if the OP is telling the whole story, there's NO excuse that Bender should not give him a refund after not being able to fulfill the order. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I don't think anyone is making excuses- that's just the reality of most cottage shops. No excuses, but you can take it or leave it.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

so after all that crap the OP got a defective product that wasn't even the right specs (different fill, different size). that's going beyond being busy and into deciept.

ya know if someone came into a restaurant i was cooking at and ordered pancakes, and i poured syrup on some crap, and served it to you. you'd probably want your money back :D

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Yup, I'd want my money back- and I don't blame the OP for feeling the same way. Point?

Anyway- I hope the OP gets everything resolved soon.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

:D same as you. hope he gets resolve…

drowning in spam

@leaftye

The only excuse I'll give is that a one person company can't respond to emails as quickly. I'd give a day or two of slack since I'd like to believe they were hard at work, although an out-of-office message for trips and such would be acceptable for longer outages.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

To Mark,

I'm not sure why the big upset. I do have big delays right now which is the result of being a 1 man operation. Trying to juggle emails and making product at the same time are growing pains of a small business. I told you I made a mistake and did not use the lighter down. You requested a partial refund which was sent immediately. There are numerous happy customers and I take good care of those who aren't.

Mark I have sent you a full refund for the air mat. You may keep it or send it back.

Bender

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Edit by RP

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

Wow!

You're not sure why he's upset?

Just to clarify his story…

He said "can you have my pad to me by _____ date". You reply "yes"
    Then you don't get it to him by that date.

Then you don't respond to numerous emails

Then you mail him a piece of crap that is the wrong size, wrong fill power, and has leaks – but yet you TRY to pass it off as what he ordered…

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

It takes two to tango. I don't know anything more than what is said here but:

"What I received was a 29 oz pad with NOT 900 FP down in it ( he later admited this to me in an email to settle the paypal dispute although to be fair he claimed that was an accident) he had another pad listed at 27 oz that was 200 dollars so I asked that he refund me the 60.00 dollar difference and call it a day since 27 was fairly close to 29. I was trying to compromise."

As far as I am concerned this closed the deal. If I was not happy I would have sent it back for refund, replacement or repair. Of course leaks after testing is still another issue. I am old enough to know no one is perfect, myself included, mistakes happen. It is fixing the mistakes that really make a difference IMHO. If both parties accept then all should be happy.

I don't want to be on anyone's side as I don't know enough about either side. I also recall reading a lot about NeoAir issues.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I also recall reading a lot about NeoAir issues."

Yes – but at least you could get a timely e-mail response.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

it's too bad that growing pains are causing problems (better that than no customers though!)

sounds like it might be time to consider hiring a part time employee, would at least help to keep up w/ emails

I know in another thread, a member "volunteered" (in exchange for a mat) his web services to get the site up and running- not sure if you took him up on this, but sounded like a pretty good deal- the site leave a LOT to be desired

you've got a good product (and obviously one in demand!), hope you can get caught up and reap the rewards of your hard work

Mike

drowning in spam

@leaftye

I don't know that Bender needs a better website. That might cause even more orders than can presently be handled in a timely manner. What might be better, and I hate myself for suggesting these, is using Facebook or Twitter to allow customers to know what's going on. Both are quick and easy to update.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Having dealt with both I can say without hesitation that his customer service is still better than Western Mountaineering

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

I am one of the people that have sung the praises of my Kooka Bay down pad (and no, I did not get it free or discounted).

I feel for the OP and agree that he should feel free to share his experiences here. But having waited longer than I expected for four custom quilts, waiting for my pad did not upset me too much. I consider it part of the process. I waited on a few of my Tarptents too.

I think that communication is the key to this problem. It is hard to tell somebody, “sorry I am running behind”. But doing that (and even returning their money) is better than gathering ill-will that will get blown out of proportion like is happening here. Two people having a problem does not make me avoid trying a good product. Yet we have posters running away. I don’t get that. But I do understand getting peeved about poor communication.

I just got back from a trip on the North Country Trail in Chippewa National Forest where I used my Kooka Bay with a Nunatak Arc Expedition. It got down to 10 F and I was very comfortable on my pad.Pad on NCT

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

I emailed Bender as well 2 weeks ago with no response.
    Instead, I bought a ridgerest to go with my neoair as a compromise since I am still interested in a kooka bay pad but I ll be waiting on the sideline til things clear up ( or get a little less busy after the winter season so that he ll have more time and better concentrate on his craftsmanship).

Communication is key though.

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

I ordered a pad early in January. I let Bender know that I needed it for a trip mid February. He said he would have it to me in time. I have not heard anything lately, and I emailed him on Friday to ask about the status and have not heard anything. I am really excited to get this product, and I REALLY want this pad on the trip I will be taking (its going to be cold, and my zlite will not cut it.) I hope to be able to give a positive review for bender and his product here soon.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Edit – RP

Will Webster

@willweb

Joey, agree you need a backup plan. I don't know where you're going but I was recently very comfortable at 20F in a tent with 1/8" thinlight + 3/4 length thermarest + 6-section cutdown ZLite. I'd been considering a Kooka mattress to reduce the carry weight and volume, but I've decided to wait until the SOTM report comes out and then buy a winter pad well before the next busy season. I hope KB and other cottage outfits are included in the SOTM.

Will

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I need to put in a +1 for Bender. About 4 months ago I had him make me an inflatable tube that I can place under my knees to reduce my back pains while sleeping. I sent him a sketch and I kid you not….he emailed me the next day saying it was done and in the mail. Seriously!

It sounds like he's become way to popular and needs some help or simply needs to start saying no.

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

I am going to pick up a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core at REI before I go if I have not received the pad from Bender by then. I can always return to REI or sell it here. I have not given up hope for the Kooka pad though, still have about 10 days before my trip.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I am another that "sung early and often" concerning the praise of the product. While delays and long wait times may be the norm for the cottage industry, communication should be better maintained to avoid the bad PR.

I am sure that Bender has grown weary of being inundated with questions that have taken away from production time, but most of these "how much would this option weigh and cost?" types of questions could be answered with a better website.

Bender has a great product and ability to innovate. He just may need a bit of help on the business side. I for one hope that he can work through these growing pains, quit his day job and make boatloads of money.

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

I ordered a pad from Bender last September. It was delivered on time and he responded to my emails within a day or so. A 3/4 length R4 pad weighing in at 10.4oz is amazing!

I am a happy customer. I hope to have another pad in the future.

I have no problem waiting several months if needed for custom gear, however communication is extremely important.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I am also a happy customer of Kooka Bay, and report that Bender went out of his way to supply me with my product (a larger-sized pillow) before the holidays.

I am concerned that some of these posts serve to unfairly stigmatize Bender when they say that their views are based on lots of anonymous PM's supporting a negative view. Thank you to those who have spoken forthrightly, and directly as to their experiences with Kooka Bay. I feel that this is a better way to discuss the business.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools