Topic

Big Sky shelters — who has ordered? who got their’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Sky shelters — who has ordered? who got their’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Jon Priest

@jwetzelp

Locale: Central Arkansas

Has anybody who paid with a credit card had any luck disputing the transaction? And by “luck” I mean gotten their money back. I’ve read that Bob doesn’t reply any more often than normal when people want their money back, so I’m interested to see how effective my only available recourse will be.

dennis hoff

@dehoff

Locale: The Frozen Tundra

Ordered my tent in Feburary, asked for a refund at the beginning of September. Last time Bob actually replied to me, I was told my refund would be mailed out by the middle of October. Still waiting………

My credit card company will be called on friday.

Jon Priest

@jwetzelp

Locale: Central Arkansas

I e-mailed him yesterday with this:

“In an attempt to allow you the opportunity to fulfill your responsibilities in this transaction, responsibilities accepted when you cashed my check, I want to make you aware of my expected recourse should the failure of the transaction be permanent. If you can send me verification of the order’s shipment by next week (11/21), that’s great. However, if you cannot do this, expect a request for refund on the following day (11/22). If the refund is not issued within a week after the request is made, I will take the necessary steps to dispute the transaction through MBNA. Finally, if you expect that you cannot fulfill these conditions upon receipt of this message, please go ahead and initiate the refund, as I have been without both money and goods for far too long.”

However, I was quickly “responded” to with an automatic e-mail restating that he was checking on his factories in Asia or some such…”where e-mail is not always available.”

Come ON!

dennis hoff

@dehoff

The automated response has been going since 10/24 at least. That’s when I last emailed and did not receive a respone. Well, other than the email today that I’m sure I won’t receive a response to other the the automated response again.

Chuck Shugart
    BPL Member

@cshugart

Locale: Canadian Prairies

Just checked my records. I ordered an evolution 2P on April 1, 2006. Still waiting. Have gotten the same, “We’re in Asia” message. and the answering machine on the phone. Maybe for Christmas?

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Yikes!! Another good reason to pay with credit card. If it’s any consolation, you might consider rating them in the Reader Reviews, under category 1, Companies (Customer Service).

Good luck.

dennis hoff

@dehoff

They didn’t have the “we’re in Asia” recording last week on the phone.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

after all of the trouble that I have heard about Big Sky I am sooooo glad that I never purchased a tent from them. Mind you I came very close to. Instead I bought a Big Agnes SL3 for my wife and I and I am better for it.
    Sorry that all of you are having troubles with your tents. Your experiences are a good warning sign for us that are on the fence as to whether or not purchase from them. Only problem is, it is at the consumers expense. Bummer.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

This just in from “Seldom Seen” Bob Molen…

“Denis,
    Just arrived USA… – Your Evolution 2P w/ clips and Marigold fly is finished so please ship the loaner back

Best regards,

Bob”

This is the tent I ordered (and paid for) on December 6, 2005. Perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel is my wishing star.

I’m going to take Bob at his word and ship the original prototype loaner back tomorrow. Wish me luck.

J R

@ravenul

What a disgrace to Ed Abbey. ;)

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Good luck. I can’t believe he expects you to ship the loaner before you receive your tent. I’d hold onto it until you get that package. If he’s waiting until he gets the loaner back until he ships to you, he’s truly whacked!

dennis hoff

@dehoff

Sure would be nice if I received a reply to the last three emails I sent inquiring about my refund that was supposed to be mailed in mid October.

Steve Crane

@scrane

Locale: Denver

on 9-19-2006 ordered Evoulution 2p 2d2v yesterday I received my order minus aluminum poles and ground cloth with promise to ship these items at no charge when avaliable. Initial observation is that e model is of highest quality with great fit and finish. Hope every one else is starting to get some response on placed orders Steve

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Steve,

Which model did you order? Sleeve? Clip? Which fly?

I ordered my tent on Dec. 6, 2005. All I’ve gotten so far are promises. (See post a few down.)

I’ve been emailing and calling Bob at least once a day since Monday. No answer so far. If I don’t hear from him by tomorrow morning I’m cancelling my order and I’ll try to get a refund.

BTW I decided to keep the loaner until I’ve got something in hand. New tent or money.

Wayne Kraft

@waynekraft

Look, this is just crazy. I’ve been reading these posts for what seems like months now. Don’t you suppose it’s time to take some action? If you’ve ordered merchandise from Big Sky and you haven’t received a timely shipment or refund, you should at least file a complaint with the Wyoming Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Unit. If you are a Wyoming resident or otherwise have the means to do so, you can also file suit privately. For details go to the website below. The Wyoming Consumer Protection Act is set forth in full on the web site. Read it over. Seems to me that Big Sky has violated it in numerous particulars. They should be held accountable.

http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/consumer.htm

Chuck Shugart
    BPL Member

@cshugart

How the heck does steve get a tent already that he ordered in September while I (along with who knows how many others) have been waiting since April? No disrespect to you steve, and I'm glad you were that successful, but how about dealing with customers who have been waiting the longest. Could it be that Bob has lost track of who has ordered what, when? I hope not. If it's this hard to get a tent from him, what's it going to be like to try to get my money back?
    Chuck

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I emailed Bob this morning, cancelling my tent order and requesting a refund. He emailed me back within a couple of hours and said that the tent should ship by Monday (12/11). He said when it ships he'll email me a tracking number.

I've got all my fingers crossed but I'm not hyperventalating.

J R

@ravenul

I wonder if it occurs to anyone has been waiting 1+ years for their tents that maybe if you showed a little backbone you would have had your tent and/or your refund months ago?

Why do you continue to insist on treating "big sky" with kid gloves?

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

If people are really being taken advantage of or not communicated with, hiring a lawyer or asking one to write a letter for like $25 or less is worth it. Being one, you would not believe how that changes things … to my dismay. That said I will not write such a letter, I would like to own one of those tents someday … maybe … but I did not come here to give legal advice or get clients, or get into more disputes …

I would offer one caution: if Big Sky could make it, and if they were honest about any problems, then you should work with them to keep a company and its principals who have worked hard to create a top of the line tent, which many want to buy, in business … some of the best products that could be sold in the marketplace are not sold because small companies cannot compete and handle their affairs during start-up phase …

Steve Crane

@scrane

Locale: Denver

Dennis, I ordered 2 person, with pole sleeves, no window, grey, extra set of aluminum poles as well as ground cloth. Steve

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I received the following email in response to a request for information on when a new Big Sky Evolution 2P would be available:

"It will probably be spring before we could ship you’re an Evolution 2P… although we just rec’d a batch of Evolution 2P 2D2V and they may be some available once we fill current orders.

The Evolution 2P is available in Marigold yellow or Granite gray.

Thanks for your interest,

Bob

http://www.BigSkyInternational.com"

Doug Hile

@dhile

I have called with out a return call; yes I did leave my name and number. E-mailed and did not get a return. Has anybody gotten an epic jacket from them lately? I know some that have gotten tents in Sept.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

FYI, Our troop is looking for tents. One (of many) we're looking is the Big Sky 234P AL.

We sent an email earlier this week, and received a reply from Bob the next day.

If you want to determine if someone has read your email, you can request a read receipt, or use a service like http://www.didtheyreadit.com

Regards,
    MikeB

Chuck Shugart
    BPL Member

@cshugart

I got two responses to emails today from Bob at Big Sky indicating that he had my tent and that it would be shipped soon. He asked if I wanted to switch to pole clips instead of sleeves. They're an ounce lighter so of course I said yes as long as it didn't delay shipment. I am encouraged that he isn't hiding, but am anxiously waiting the promised tracking number indicating the order has been shipped. Anyone else feel that he might be turning the corner? He also said that they were focusing on filling current orders before they take on a bunch more stuff on their plate. He's sure saying the right stuff.
    Chuck

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Thursday I got an answer from Bob regarding the tent I ordered a year ago. He said that he expected to ship on Monday 12/11. He indicated he'd email me a tracking number when it shipped. This email came two days after I gave him a deadline or I was cancelling my order. I emailed him today at 11:51 am PST, asking if his Monday shipping date was still good. He replied at 12:15 pm, saying "yep". That's the quickest reply, by days, he's ever answered my emails. Perhaps I'll get my Evolution 2P-2D-2V, clip version, with Marigold Fly, tent after all.

I sincerely hope Bob is able to pull himself out of the pit he's dug and start doing business. I've seen his products at ADZPCTKO and, if he can start to deliver, he's got really good stuff. I've been wearing his Better-Than-Fleece Jacket since early summer. It's a really great jacket. Could breathe a little better, but it is warm. It was the only insulating gear I carried doing the PCT, Section K, in October. We had rain and snow the last half of the trip and I was never cold. I'm wearing the jacket in the avatar.

I will say that he certainly needs to learn some serious comunication skills.

Good luck to Bob. I hope he pulls it off.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools