Topic

Revivex wash-in vs. Revivex spray

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Revivex wash-in vs. Revivex spray

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Hi, I’m curious about the effectivness of either product. Does one work better than the other? Ease of application? Which one lasts longer?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The wash-in version is easier to get complete coverage, but they work equally well in my experience. The wash-in version should not be used with wicking linings.

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Richard, thanks for your reply. It was difficult to get proper coverage with the spray. I treated my Helium pullover last November and used nearly 2/3 of the bottle, and I still missed spots!(g) I will try the wash-in version next time around.
    Thanks
    Paul

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Mosquitoes bite through light wind shirts made of materials such as Pertex Microlight. Permethrin, put on after any DWR, cuts the DWR effectiveness in about 1/2. Permethrin put on before the DWR cuts the DWR effectiveness to about 0.

It appears that you have to make your choice as to whether you want to be dry or bug free but the ultralight combination is not easily attainable.

This would be a good BPL topic for Jordan.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

It is my feeling after treating a Patagonia Houdini with wash-in Nikwax that it didn’t take very well. Do the siliconized fabrics need some other type of DWR spray? You certainly can’t seam seal them with typical seam sealants.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was more effective to use the spray if breathabilty was a concern as the wash-in applied the DWR to the inside of the jacket as well causing water on the inside to condense.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools