Topic

Tarps with perimeter netting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarps with perimeter netting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How do people like floorless tarps (like a SMD Wild Oasis) with perimeter netting? Are they good at keeping out crawling bugs and ticks?

Thanks

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bump

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

I have not tried one but I like the concept. There are reviews of the Wild Oasis, and do a search for Duomid and Oware, there have been some discussions about it recently.

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

Hi there
    I had the Wild Oasis and used it in Scotland where there are a lot of winged and small biting insects! The Wild Oasis did well, but did let a few flying insects in that came through the grass, and a few other that just came through below the net. It's not that easy to seal off 100%, but it works, and worked fine for me.
    Hope this helps.
    Peter

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

The Wild Oasis is small enough to cut a groundsheet so that it overlaps the netting but it still small and light. Unless you set up on top of an ant mount, you'll be pretty much bug free. I've used a WO in some very buggy areas even at night with a light on and only had the occasional bug. I give it two thumbs way up. If you are much over 6 feet you might find the WO a little short though.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have a pyramid shelter (Golite SL3) into which I sewed perimeter netting which attaches to a floor using Velcro. I've only used it with the floor though. But, I don't expect it to work against crawlers at all. They spend their entire life crawling under things. You could sew in or Velcro (or Omnitape) in a noseeum netting floor. Treat near the Velcro with permethrin because it might allow small gaps. I'm thinking about doing this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools