Topic

Skurka Gear Book

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

There's been some chatter about books that I'm currently writing, so I want to be more specific about my plans. Please feel free to comment — these projects are still in the works so good feedback can/will be incorporated.

Since the New Year I've been working hard on a gear & technique book. I'm over 32,000 words right now, which is about 50 pages single-spaced, no pictures, charts, diagrams yet.

In my head, the book's title is "A Walker's Guide to Hiking & Backpacking." It's not a "lightweight" backpacking book, and it's not a book for people who consciously car-camp on their backpacking trips. It's a practical guide to modern backpacking gear and technique; I make my preferences known, but I try to provide all points of view. Heck, I even tried defending double-wall tents the other day, though single-walls and tarps won the argument a few paragraphs later.

Consider this book a new "The Complete Walker." I don't think that lightweight backpacking should be presented as an alternative technique — it should be positioned as the new technique, antiquating the old. I don't understand why the backpacking industry is so backwards — it'd be like shops/magazines/manufacturers arguing that leather boots and skinny skis are still the way to go for downhill skiing, or that mountain bikes shouldn't have suspension or gears. So it's fundamentally different that other backpacking books. Versus other lightweight boos, I dare to get very specific about gear — I include the broad same-old arguments found in other books, but I also fly just off the deck by giving specific examples of canister stoves, pocket knives, and trekking poles. Sure, I'll have to update the book again in a few years, but I think it's worth it.

My plan is to have "Section I: Gear" done within the next two weeks. I have a few presentations at end of Feb where I'll be selling this section, as an unpolished 8.5×11 print-out. I'm calling it a "pre-edition." I may put it up on my website too, TBD. I would like to have "Section II: Technique" done by the end of April. After the writing is done, it'll take about 2 months to edit it, lay it out, and get it printed. I'll start filling orders before I leave for the summer, I hope.

Once this book is up and running, I'll start working on the Alaska-Yukon book. That will be a longer and more difficult project — I'll have to dig deeper to make it good. The gear & technique content rolls pretty easily for me.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Sounds great….I'm particularly looking forward to the technique section.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Have you considered combining the gear book and the Alaskan adventure story? The problem is, as you have said, that your book will become dated if you mention specific gear.

I'd be interested in reading about your insights into walking, your connection with nature (as you mentioned in your Banff podcast, looking after your body (eg., knees, feet, etc.) backpacking solo vs. with others, and reentry into society after a big walk.

Looking forward to reading the article on you in National Geographic. Will buy a couple of copies at your site.

Mike

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Michael: I think it's best to have two books — each subject (gear/technique & AYE) should be its own book. The gear book is strictly about that, with a few personal stories (1-2 paragraphs at the start of a chapter) to mix things up. The AYE book will address the things you mentioned in the second paragraph. I intend to write the AYE book after I'm done with this gear book.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That gear book will have to be printed on thin onionskin paper to cut the weight down. You could have it printed on TP, but then you would have Mike C. down on you.

–B.G.–

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

"Consider this book a new "The Complete Walker." I don't think that lightweight backpacking should be presented as an alternative technique — it should be positioned as the new technique"

First those are big shoes to fill but shoes that need to be filled. New editions will be necessary but then as someone who has bought all 4 Complete Walkers and all of the editions of Chris Townsends books, it happens.

As an analogy, I am a farmer who practices sustainable principles. It is/used to be considered the alternative but is quickly becoming the way to farm, i.e. "the new technique".

I say go for it, but be thorough as Fletcher and then Rawlins were, knowing that it will change quickly.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Content notwithstanding, how about offering electronic versions?

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

"I don't think that lightweight backpacking should be presented as an alternative technique — it should be positioned as the new technique, antiquating the old. "

+1

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Locale: The Western Door

I'll echo chris. In keep with the ultralight ethos, I'm hoping for an electronic (and therefore weightless, unless you want to count the molecular weights of extra electrons that might end up attached the molecules of my hard drive) version. If I had to carry all the books I want to read in paper form, I'd be walking around with a library on my back! A laptop is bad enough, but a man's gotta work. ;)

Though if I were traipsing around the backcountry I'm sure I'd rather just carry a paperback.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

It will definitely be available as an e-book too.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

One word for the wise: back up the document(s)!

I'll buy it when it comes out. I like the full-frontal assault on the backpacking industry.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I like the combining the two books idea. Kind of like "the Man who walked thru Time"

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Re The Man Who Walked through Time, there's a huge difference between that book and Fletcher's The Complete Walker. I don't think it's possible to successfully blend the two subjects while giving them both justice. Imagine me interrupting a story about Alaska's bitter cold temperatures when I started in March with a 5-page assessment of sleeping bags that includes discussion of clo values and sewn-through construction.

Gear and Alaska are different books, period. Of course, each will mention the other, but each will be primarily focused about one thing.

Here are some of the things I would like feedback on with regards to the gear book:

1- How geeky do I get? Is it reasonable to talk about R-values of sleeping pads, the water absorption rates of different fibers, and the nuances of LED technology?

2- How can I defend this book against inevitable attempts to dismiss it as a lightweight book?

3- Given the changes in the publishing industry, am I correct in taking the self-publishing route, and printing a pre-edition that will be out for about 3 months before the full edition is ready?

4- What are the major weaknesses of other lightweight books? How can I avoid them.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

1) imo, go real geeky

2) don't worry about those who will dismiss it as LW book – so don't defend it

3) i like your publishing plan

4) your book will be great because you have WALKED the TALK. you know what works and how it works. the weaknesses i've seen here and there are when someone writes about theory of LW bp versus a writer who has applied knowledge.

5) I'm looking forward to reading it.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Andrew,

Good luck on the books! I'm excited for you and hope that you can continue to build your career being location independent hiker trash!

Cheers,
    Jack

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

+1 for George's analysis!

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

1- How geeky do I get? Is it reasonable to talk about R-values of sleeping pads, the water absorption rates of different fibers, and the nuances of LED technology?

Charts, diagrams and photos help keep the sleepy readers awake. It isn't necessary to go super deep, but arming people with the ability to more objectively cut through marketing hype is quite valuable and eye-opening (such as CLO / R-values of insulations and systems and how to apply the info). Little "squares" with side-note info such as LED differences that act as on-page foot-notes or reprisals are quite handy and break up monotony.

2- How can I defend this book against inevitable attempts to dismiss it as a lightweight book?

By example: Mike C. seems to have done this well with his classic winter backcountry travel books. Marketing to stores like REI and having the right cover art can go along way. I won't pretend to know the recipe, but refer to Falcon Press, The Mountaineers, etc.. The title will go a long way to either appeal to or deflate a broad audience.

3- Given the changes in the publishing industry, am I correct in taking the self-publishing route, and printing a pre-edition that will be out for about 3 months before the full edition is ready?

I have no idea, but I am curious as well

4- What are the major weaknesses of other lightweight books? How can I avoid them.

Well, there aren't too many to compare with, but I would have to say the #1 is their marketing approach – this is where you have a real opportunity to reach a broad audience. Content-wise, I am confident that you can nail it, but be sure and keep the format enjoyable, with plenty of diagrams, depth, principle, quick-reference outlined summary propositions at chapter headings or tails, quick facts/statistics, anecdotes, personal stories, scientific beta, etc.

Hope that helps; thanks for sharing and best wishes moving forward.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

1- Geek = good. Helps cut through the massive amounts of gear industry tech hype. Consider augmenting the geek analysis with practical examples from your experience.

2- I wouldn't defend. Give them the geek info and your experiences and leave it at that.

3- Glad to hear there will be an e-version and like the self-publishing idea. Will pre-release buyers get a discount or some other incentive for the full release?

4- Honestly, I haven't read them. BPL and other net spots are my LW sources.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

+1 on most of the other recommendations

The only thing I would caution against is giving too much away in the pre-editions.
    Personally I'll probably pick up both, but I have a feeling if that initial awe is gone, people may not commit and buy the pre-dition AND the final version.
    So yeah, try and find a good balance there.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I was thinking about offering a rebate on the final edition if you purchase the pre-edition. My goal with the pre-edition is to create some buzz about this project, and to get some constructive feedback. (Of course, a pre-edition also generates cash 3 months before a full edition would.) I'm expecting the final edition to have at least 50 percent more content than the pre-edition — all of it will be about technique.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

If section one of the book(pre-edition) is done late Feb.Why not start taking orders packaged/shipped with March Nat Geo mags?Boost your cash flow & save us from placing 2 seprate orders.Good idea on a rebate toward final book edition.Another idea would be to let us buy the pre and final edition now,to be shipped as they are done : – )

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

If you go real geeky, you'll only sell it to guys on BPL. I like an idea like in the Tim Ferriss book, where he has geek alerts, and puts them in a sidebar.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

– Go all out but don't get bogged down in details and charts.

– Just treat weight as a natural and normal part of backpacking, because it is.

– related to the former question. Too many books treat the simple act of considering weight and being thoughtful about what you carry as if its extreme, fringe, and edgy. I get the feeling from your questions that you know this and want to keep some perspective. Good luck on your new book!

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

+1 on what Joe said about geek alerts.
    I, for one, want to see the geeky stuff but if you're aiming toward a broader audience then balancing things out is probably the route to take, in my opinion. Considering your profile, and that it's about to rise considerably next month, you are in a position to spread the lightweight gospel to more people than anyone has up to this point.
    From what you've shared with us, I think it will be a great book no matter what route you take.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

I think that it is good to go geeky for us but, in order for the book to be accepted mainstream, it needs to be somewhat geared to those starting out in lightweight hiking. Adding a little technical details will keep people like us interested.

I like the publishing plan you got going.

Like its been said, you have been there and done that, so no one can come at you saying you don't know what your talking about. Your not making a book like Ryan did, nor are you making a book that says, "this is a pack, this is a sleeping bag….."

Put me down for a pre-edition :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools