Topic

The PCT roughly runs from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, right?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips The PCT roughly runs from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, right?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

The PCT roughly runs from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, right?
    The reason I ask is from some of the trip reports I read lead me to think that, but I can't find a definite map or anything online to confirm that. I want to do the Tahoe Rim Trail and the John Muir Trail this summer, but can't find affordable transportation from South Lake Tahoe to Happy Isles. Perhaps I could hike the TRT, then hike out of Tahoe, south on the PCT to Yosemite where I could then find a way to Happy Isles? Is that possible to even do? If so, what's the mileage?

Thanks,
    Dan

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Yes, the PCT does run from Yosemite to Tahoe. So does the Tahoe to Yosemite Trail, which if I'm not wrong, is a better route.

From South Lake Tahoe, you could bus it to Carson City, then bus down to Lee Vinning, then shuttle (or is it hitch?) to Tuolumne and shuttle to the valley.

A map:
    http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php

The TYT and PCT segments are both around 180 miles.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I am not sure if I understand your question,but the PCT runs from the boarder of Mexico to 10 miles into Canada.Sorry if that wasn't your question.

Jack H.

@found

All of that hiking would be about 570-580 miles.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Make it easier. Skip Toulemne Meadows down to Happy Isles. Do the TRT, head south on PCT and then do Whitney and head out Whitney portel. Theres a bus that runs up the east side (google crest & bus) all the way to reno. You miss out on about 25 miles of IMHO less than spectacular hiking. The only highlight is Vernal and Nevada falls but you can do that as a tourist from Yosemite valley. This will make logistics much easier.

If you must do all the JMT then take the hikers shuttle from TM down to the valley. It leaves sometime around noon. The problem will be that technical you will need seperate permits since you left the trail. You could sneak your way back up to TM and pretend you never left the PCT. Your call.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Dan, when are you looking at doing the TRT and heading to Happy Isles? I live in Reno and will be heading to Curry Village to start my JMT hike in August. Getting from South Lake Tahoe to Reno is a piece of cake. I can give you a lift if it times out right. The only downside, is we have to shuttle a vehicle to Whitney Portal before we head back to Curry Village.

Jack H.

@found

This thread inspired me to buy the guidebook. It was last published in 1987. Glad I bought it before it's completely gone. I bet I'll to the TYT someday..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools