Topic

Tour of the Angeles Crest anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Tour of the Angeles Crest anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Anybody interested in touring the length of San Gabriels? Starting on the west side somewhere and ending at Lytle Creek maybe? I know of a couple water holes along the way and some of the other spots could be close enough to Hwy2 for a water drop. I'd like to hear from Craig or Nick but anybody else is welcome up to about 4 maybe.

Anybody out there done this already? how many miles? any tips or trip reports you can point me to?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'd be game for sure.

I've run the Gabrielino Trail and have looked at running the Silver Mocassin (50 miles) for a while. It's been put off because of all the Station fire closures. Silver Moccasin looks like a fun backpack as well.

But yeah, I'd be up for a big trip up there. We just have to work out timing.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

It'd be cool if we could start at the Silver Moccassin by you and end at Baldy near me. But I guess we'd have to start around Vincent Gap or a bit west of there to avoid burn areas. I havent been up there and its pretty hard to tell from the map I'm seeing. Anyway, we should be able to hit Throop, Baden-Powell, Pine, Baldy. No idea how many miles that is, but looks like theres some water here and there.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Could be a good scouting trip for your Moccassin run if we start in Arcadia maybe?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Arcadia (Chantry Flats?) would work. I don't know the full status of the high country closures right now. I could call the FS tomorrow.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Yeah Chantry. I was under the impression that from Gabrielino to Hwy2 would be burned out, but maybe not. If you wanna call about closure boundaries and road access that would be great.

This could be fun, much of this hike would be new to me since most of my trips are in the Sierra.

Definitely hit me up if you have ideas for making it more interesting. Feel like splitting off and running a quick side loop? Cool by me.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Depending on the timing, I am totally down for this. I'm sure my work would be cool with me taking some time off, providing I bring back plenty of pictures :)

Thanks for the PM Adan.

Unfortunately I've never done this hike before so I'm not really sure as to how it should be done, I'm willing to help in any way though!

I'll keep checking back here, and I'll try to do some research on it. PM me if you have anything you need to ask or something because I'll probably answer that first.

Great idea! :)

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Awesome. We'll all do some research and post ideas here then for route, water, shuttle, etc. I think if we decide on entry and exit, the rest of the route will be obvious. Ive been wanting to see many of these places for a while so I'm excited about it. I'm flexible on time as well so we'll see what works for Craig since he's on school time.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Possible Route, Chantry to Manker Flats, 75.4 miles

Silver Moccassin Trail, 53 miles. Vincent Gulch Trail 5.9 miles. Road 3N39 2 miles. Fish Fork Trail 3.7 miles. Dawson Peak Trail 4.6 miles, Backbone Trail 2 miles. Baldy Bowl Trail 4.2 miles.

This would be a 4 day/3 night hike for me. If 4 days is too much we can find other entry/exit. But this would be a great lenght for me if it works.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

That sounds like an awesome trip. When were you thinking about doing this? In the next couple weeks?

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

No idea on timing but it wont be that soon. After the snow melts a bit would be ideal. but if timing is tricky for Craig I dont mind waiting until later in the season. whatever works.

this would be an awesome hike for me, ive been wanting to see alot of these areas for a long time. but I am interested in doing a snow trip up to Kellys camp soon though, 10 miles round trip or something like that. New ice axe from my friend Nick, new microspikes and new quilt! I'm ready for a test run, just waiting for some cold weather.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

If we decide starting at Chantry is not an option because of the fire, starting at Bear Creek near top of hwy39 would be an interesting option. Bear Creek trail takes you up to Smith mtn and then you follow the south ridge of Islip up to meet with Hwy2. This pic is from Smith looking north along the ridge trail.

smith to islip

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am interested, depending upon timing.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

That's great Nick, I think it'll be a good time.

I think James and I are somewhat flexible on timing. To get Craig in, it may be best if we shoot for mid-summer. If we dont need to wait for summer, then I have alot of openings between March 18 and April 5th. I can take a thur-friday off or i can take a mon-tues off. comments?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am pretty flexible, so it doesn't matter too much. That happens when your kids leave the nest :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

My spring break falls on the last week of March thru the first week of April.
    I have to see if a trip will fit then…I'll be traveling with the family a bit. I was also thinking about going up and fastpacking the Lost Coast from Sinkyone > north end and back (~100 mile yo-yo). I suppose I could put this trip off until summer…

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Okay, so it's looking like summer maybe? By the way, it's possible that with forest closures we may not be able to do more than 2-2.5 days. For instance if we start at hw39 and end at lytle. That might be easier to fit in for everyone if we can start friday afternoon and end Sunday night?

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

I'm moving to San Francisco at the end of march if everything goes well, but my parents live down here so If you guys want to do this hike later in the spring or in the summer, let me know and I'll fly down and stay at my parents house :)

I checked out your initial plan from chantry to manker and it looks absolutely awesome.

Btw, I want to do a 2 day overnighter at Fish Fork along the san gabriel, up the heaton flats trail.

I was hoping to get some fishing in while I'm up there, anybody down for something like that in the next couple weeks? :)

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I havent been up that way. I'd be interested. Is there decent fishing up there? Let me know when you go, even if I cant stay overnight I'd like to hike up there and fish.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Sorry, I meant the bridge to nowhere trail.

Now I'm looking at the heaton flats trail though! haha

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Hey part of our Angeles Crest hike would pass fish fork headwaters. Anyway, let me know as soon as you know when you want to go so i can try and go with you. gotta get my fly gear out and check my leaders and tippet.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

So the last week in March would be a good time since James leaves Socal after that and Craig is on spring break. If that doesnt work out James then we'll still keep you posted in case you want to make it back down here. I think this would be a pretty good hike, I'm looking forward to it.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Hey Adan…
    Just sent you a PM. I'll be spending the night with a friend on the East Fork tomorrow (Friday) night. Mellow trip, just going to hike in short (probably no more than 5-6 miles), drink some beer, eat good food, and sleep outside. You're more than welcome to join us. We should be getting up there at around 3pm and we'll be back at the car by ~9 on Saturday morning.
    It would be cool to meet….My cell number is in the PM.

On the Angeles Crest hike, I think I could do the last week of March if it were 2 nights/3 days. Lets talk about it if that's a good time for everyone else.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

I am gonna keep an eye on this thread. Dont make plans around me, but I am interested as well.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Brandon, so we lured you in! Good. We've got quite a rag-tag bunch going rite now. cant get organized for sh… but when the pieces all come together its gonna be good. You been on any parts of these trail I'm talking about? I'm surprised folks havent offered any info about the route but maybe that's because we're the first to attempt it. ;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools