Topic

MYOG Pack straps frustation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Pack straps frustation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

Alrighty, well I'm making my own pack right now. I have all the materials EXCEPT the grosgrain or nylon webbing for the adjustment straps on my hip belt and shoulder pads.

I ordered both 3/4" Nylon Webbing and 3/4"Grosgrain ribbon from Quest Outfitters, both of these slip with my 3/4" ladderlocs. I was disappointed so I ordered some Grosgrain from Thru-Hiker thinking it would be the thicker stuff you find with most packs, but all I got was the same Grosgrain ribbon that Quest outfitters gave me.

All I want to know is where can I buy the thicker webbing that won't slip with my ladderlocs? I'm using the regular 3/4" ladderlocs from Quest Outfitters. It's probably a very simple find, but I just don't want to order the wrong stuff once again.

Thanks

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Are you sure you're feeding the webbing through the ladderloc correctly?

There are several possible ways to feed it through but only one will not slip.

Sorry, I don't mean this to be a stupid question

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Yes, I've tried many ways. I've only found one way where it actually holds tight, but it slips with just the tiniest tilt of the ladderloc.

It seems like it might work, but I'm afraid that with the pack on, it will slip way to easily if I move any semi-awkward way.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Well, the nylon webbing should do it. Dumb question but, are you sure you're using 3/4 inch ladderlocs with the 3/4 inch webbing and not 1 inch ladderlocs? Also: you'd be surprised how they hold tension better once they're actually on the pack and under strain. The nylon webbing should work just fine, I'd go ahead and try it.

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Positive they are 3/4".

And yeah I saw the first response and realized that maybe I'm not doing anything wrong, maybe I'm just a big baby haha.

So I'm just gonna go for it and see what happens. Thanks you guys. Sorry for the dumb post.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Michael,
    Ladderlock buckles only work properly when webbing on the nonslipping end is looped up over the bar that is the second one in from the rear, not the rear outside one. The webbing must come up between the rear outside one and the second one in, loop around the second one, and back under the first one to rejoin its webbing self.

Then the webbing loop is held or attached to the pack or flap. When webbing is correctly fed through the other end, the business end of the buckle, and is pulled to apply tension, the outside bar at the rear end is prevented by the webbing at the rear end from becoming horizontal, and is held by the bar at the slight angle needed for the buckle to work properly.

Hard to explain, but hope this helps. Will post a diagram if needed.

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

I finished the pack. I copied the way that the webbing was worked through on my GoLite Jam. Also, I followed what you said and I think I got it right. However, it still slips. If I put the pack on and slowly walk around, it does not slip. BUT, if I raise an arm, or wiggle just a little, it slips.

I ran out of Nylon Webbing from Quest Outfitters so I could not use that for the shoulder strap, although it was just as thin as the grosgrain. I used the Grosgrain from Thru-hiker.

Compared to the webbing on my GoLite Jam and Zpacks Zero, the webbing I am using is very very thin. The Grosgrain "webbing" I bought from Thru-Hiker is the exact same stuff as the Grosgrain Ribbon from Quest Outfitters. I believe I really just need the thicker stuff thats on my other packs.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

That's right. Grossgrain will slip through most ladderlocks, as was noted in an earlier post. Twill tape, ditto. Certainly for 3/4" and up, anyway. And half inch buckles are really to flimsy for a pack strap, I think.
    Suggest you use a good quality 3/4" or wider nylon webbing. Have never seen a webbing as thin as grossgrain, but ?
    There was a thread recently where someone was looking for buckles suitable for grossgrain. Links for some exotic nifty looking buckles were provided, but don't recall that any were for small quantity retail purchases.
    Note: As was also noted, it is easy to thread webbing with the buckle upside down, as some buckles look like the webbing should go that way. Turn the buckle over, rethread, and see if it makes any difference. That is probably not your problem, but wanted to cover all bases.
    Best luck with the pack.

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Ahh I guess I'll just order some Nylon Webbing from Thru-hiker then. Thanks for all the info. And btw, the pack turned out awesome besides the slipping. I'm real happy about it, I'll probably post some photos of it tomorrow or sometime. Didn't really do any new nifty design. Kinda looks like an MLD pack with a SMD swift mesh pocket set up.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Most likely it is the ladderlock which is wrong, not the nylon webbing. Some buckles are designed to slip easily; others are designed to hold – but are harder to adjust.

Yeah, known mistake. Even big companies make that mistake at times.

Cheers

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Michael,

You're not alone.

Copy and paste this link to a thread where I also bemoan the frustrations of ladder locks and grosgrain ribbon. ;-)

Sorry about the unembedded long link but I'm hurrying out the door to go to work. ;-)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=41530&skip_to_post=352880#352880

Party On,

Newton

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Did you buy the 3/4in "light weight" webbing from Quest or the medium weight? The light weight style is barely thicker than grosgrain so that could be your problem if so.

Ryan

Michael Fleming

@giganticmermaid

Yes I noticed that when I took another look at Quest Outfitters. I originally bought the light weight nylon webbing. I just ordered the medium weight last night, and it just shipped this morning. So hopefully that should work.

I just ripped up some seams this morning so I'll be ready when the webbing gets here. I'm really excited about it.

Started off with some stuff sacks like a few people suggested, now I've made a pack! I really hope it works out, I don't necessarily trust my sewing skills just yet, but it looks good.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Bingo. I think that will fix your problem!

Ryan

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

If your original webbing was lightweight grossgrain and therefore too thin to work in the buckles then here is some good news. You'll be able to use it if you want to.

You can sew two pieces of lightweight grossgrain together and thereby create a webbing that is about the same weight and thickness of the nylon webbing that does work in the buckles.

Aside from avoiding waste you may find another advantage. If you plan to sew one end of the webbing to something you can leave a few inches of that end as a single layer. That will make sewing it easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools