Topic

JMT Access – Pine Creek TH vs North Lake TH

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion JMT Access – Pine Creek TH vs North Lake TH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Please let us know how it goes. Photos always welcome. :)

HJ

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

David, what is the date that you are starting? I will be passing the junction of Piute Pass trail and the JMT on Sunday July 31st

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Ken – We are starting at North Lake on Aug 6……..

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

oh well looks like I will be a few days ahead of you. You mentioned camping on Darwin Bench. Take the use trail up and follow for a half mile to a mile, there is an amazing spot to camp that overlooks everything. The way you know that you are at the correct campsite is that there is a thin 10 foot rock right next to it. Once you see it you will know that is the correct site

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Hey Ken – I followed your summer itinerary on the map last night, looks like a great trip.

Thanks for the tip about Darwin. I looked at that last night on the map and I don't think Greg will want to sleep that high.

We'll see, maybe we'll day trip it up there.

Linda Alvarez
    BPL Member

@liniac

Locale: Southern California

Sounds like you have your trip already dialed but I wanted to second the advice to camp the first night at the North Lake trailhead. Decent campsites there, and there is long term parking near the pack station. I don't handle altitude well either but did fine on a trek out Piute Pass last year. Best practices for me is to make sure my campsites don't gain more than 1500 ft per night. (going higher than that as in over a pass during the prior day is OK, and seems to actually help me with altitude, but I try to make sure where I sleep is within 1500 of my previous night). While Piute Pass is over 11,000, I think you can reach a lower altitude first night camp if you continue on down into the valley toward the JMT (tho I have to look at map again). Of course you know to keep him hydrated and if all else fails… descend until he feels better.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools