Topic

Need Help With Recipes!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Need Help With Recipes!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I have a Harmony Foods Backpacking Kit and now I need to know what I can make with it. I have never worked with dehydrated foods before so I don't really know what specifically can be done. Looking for just add water recipes?

-Any recipes for One serving size meals?
    -Any other ingredients to work with? Cous Cous? Meats?
    -How much water to add?

Thanks for helping the naive.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

I made one of the recipes it comes with-

Sundown Stew-
    1/4 cup Northern Bean
    1 tsp Onions
    1 tsp Carrots
    1 tsp Diced Potatoes
    1 Cup Water
    Added myself
    1 tsp peppers
    1 tsp tomatoes

I boiled the cup of water and added it to ziplock with the ingredients for 15 min.

More water than food. Seemed like I added too much water.

What's wrong?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Mark, keep experimenting like you are doing. It will take only a short time to learn about the water amount, ratios of ingredients, your preferred spices, etc. There are no real rules as to how to do this–just experiment at home, try new ideas, ingredients, etc. If you are a meat eater, you might consider putting a tablespoon or so of FD beef or chicken into the mix. For me, the most essential item is the choice of spices I add. Once you become comfortable with a few dishes, then there's a whole new arena you can get into. I like adding FD olives slices, yoghurt powder, FD cheese, dehydrated fat-free sour cream and the like. Be careful, though–if you get into doing this like some of us, you'll end up buying a dehydrator and maybe even a vacuum sealer. Then you'll know that you've passed on to the level of true food geekdom! But it sure as hell beats Mountain House.

Edit–spelling

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Mark,

Many of the recipes on my website were designed with HHF products used in them. You may want to search the "FBC" or "Freezerbagcooking" recipes. Those are 'just add water' recipes.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Thanks Sarah-

Awesome website and started to bastardize some of you recipes. Gonna have to buy a new kit soon. Keeping experimenting and using up my supplies. Thanks a mil.

Mark

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You inspired my last 2 blogs I might add! I went through and pulled up recipes :-)

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Glad to help? Where may I ask are the blogs to check out? thanks

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools