Topic

Rotary Cutter Table

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Rotary Cutter Table

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

For a couple of years now I have been using plastic topped tables like this one for cutting fabric with a rotary cutter.

TABLE

Works well and the tables are pretty cheap if you wait for a sale.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks Daryl.

It doesn't get all "carved up"?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Use the cheapest ping-pong tables I can find, partly becasue they are 60" wide.
    After a while they sag toward the middle and have to be replaced.
    Wish I could find one with that cutting board type plastic.
    And I use very sharp scissors, because I can zip them right along the cut line.
    Guess a hot knife is best, but the good ones are quite espensive. So I just melt the edges slightly with a BIC lighter.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Yes, the table does get cuts in it but I don't care and it hasn't affected future use of the rotary cutter on the table.

I don't do that many projects. If one was in the business I would guess that the table would get pretty cut up and not be useable.

For my use, however, I think the table should last a lifetime.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Hey, a ping pong table would be a perfect size given the typical 60" width of fabric. Thanks for the tip.

Steven Maxfield
    BPL Member

@fredmax56

Locale: New England

Hi Samuel,
    southstarsupply.com sells cutting mats as large as 47 by 95 inches. They are not cheap but they look like would work well. I do not have any connection to South Star except I have purchased from them in the past.
    Fred

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Todd,

I took a closer look at the table that I have cut on for a couple of years. I can see the scratches in good light but they are so shallow I can't even feel them when I rub my fingers over them.

Daryl

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks Daryl. That's impressive, especially as you mentioned – for the small-time MYOG'ers (especially like me!) who don't make tons of gear.

would make a great father's day gift from my kids!

Todd

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Walmart is stocking a mat similar to the large Elnas, the 24×36" jobs for ~$25 a piece.

I built my cutout table out of two framed 4×8 pieces of cabinet grade 3/4" plywood. Ending with an 8×8 space, elevated on cinder block. High enough to work around but low get on top for doing layout for quilts.

I recommend buying those small mats and sticking them together in whatever size you need, painters tape will hold them together easily. These soft mats don't dull blades as quickly as the big white ones. However, I've found I use the exacto knife or utility knife blades more than rotary, since you can't cut cuben with the rotary blades very well.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I use a similar table I bought from Office Max. If you have a JoAnn's nearby, you can get the cutting mats and rotary cutters cheap if you have a 50% or 40% coupon…which is always around weekly. I bought some 5" bed risers from Bed, Bath and Beyond ( they have 7" as well) to raise the table so my back doesn't get tired. It works great. Get a couple of the tables and put the mats together and it makes for a good table…easy to store. Mine has folding legs. Costco also sells these tables, but a different brand. Those tables come in different sizes,and widths as well.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

McMaster-Carr part #85585K27 works well, and they last a very long time. Polycarbonate tops are used on comercial XY CNC rotary cutter tables.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Rhino mats are very reasonably priced. http://www.speedpress.com/cuttingmats
    I recently bought a 2'x4' for $25.

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

I love a really large cutting mat, but they're so expensive, over $100 – here's another great alternative:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23869&catid=705

HDPE sheet is what most of the very large cutting mats are made from – this is the same thing without the "cutting mat" label – at a much better price. I've got a 4'x8' sheet, as well as (2) 2'x4' sheets. 1/16" is plenty thick if you're putting it on a flat surface. Go it 1/8" maybe if you're going to use it on the rug. Put a note in your order to have them "Roll to Ship" – a full sheet can be rolled and shipped UPS for a fair price, rather than have it sent flat by Freight Truck (much more expensive).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools