Topic

Best 0 Bag for the Money?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best 0 Bag for the Money?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Price
    BPL Member

@tacomajpp

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

I've used the search function and really couldn't find any threads detailing this subject. I really like to winter backpack. In my region around the Great Smoky Mountains, we can see temps in the single digits and my other favorite spot Big South Fork, the average winter nighttime temps are in the teens.

I currently have a 20 degree synthetic bag. However, I'm really wanting to get a zero degree bag to make my sleepy time a little more comfy. I spend 6-10 nights out per year in these temps. I don't mind spending in the low $200's for a bag….

Suggestions, thoughts, comments….would be appreciated. TIA.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Well I don't think you're going to find anything with 800+ fp down in that price range, at least not if you're looking to buy a brand new bag at full-retail. Your best bet would be to keep an eye out on the gear swap forum here, and maybe check geartrade.com, and always keep a close eye on steep and cheap. Hope this helps.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

I've heard good things about the Marmot "Never Summer" 0 degree bag. It's only 600FP. But if it keeps you warm on the cheap, what the heck. Altrec has them on sale for $229 free shipping.

Jeremy Price
    BPL Member

@tacomajpp

I've been looking at that one. Thanks.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

$200 for a higher end bag might be a bit of a stretch. Even the 15-degree Marmot Helium that I'm selling on gear swap (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=41827&skip_to_post=358517#358517) retails for around $350. Used, however, you might be able to get a pretty good deal. Or maybe you can look at a 15 degree bag and plan on wearing some warm clothing in it?

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Don't forget to check craigslist and yard sales. I found an as new FF Peregrine at a yard sale priced at $150. I was so excited that I didn't even try to bargain with the seller.

stephan

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have a Marmot Never Summer 0 degree bag–great bag for the price. Weight is close to 4 lbs.

Richard Rini
    BPL Member

@rarini

Locale: Southeast

I have to agree with the group, it's going to be difficult to find a zero bag in the low 200's( good quality at least). I bought a Montbel down spiral on a great sale and I believe I paid 280, not sure on that. I do a lot of back packing in the Smokys as well, we were just out there in mid December. Night time temps were in the low teens. I was nice and warm! Try and save a bit more if you can or continue to search, you might find a great deal.

tommy d

@vinovampire

EMS MOUNTAIN LIGHT 0° SLEEPING BAG, REGULAR
    Regular Price: $339.00 SALE $237.30

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3981927&lmdn=Brand&cp=3677338.3737362.3705267

I have a ML 20 and -20. They're good bags at a great prices.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Golite has that 40% off coupon floating around, check out the gear deals area. They have a 0 degree F 800 fill bag that is normally $500 but is $300 with the coupon. I am considering picking up one myself.

Bent Gate Mountaineering has the 0*F Marmot Lithium on clearance for $330, regularly $459.

That may be a little out of your price range but I have found that you really get what you pay for in higher end sleeping bags and it is worth being your most expensive piece of gear.

Steve Scarborough

@zehnmm

Locale: southern New Mexico

I agree with other posts that getting one for $200 will be difficult.

Found a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 degree bag in like-new condition off of Ebay for $175 for my wife. Not zero, but still a high value bag for a good price.

But, some 12 years ago, I bought a Feathered Friends Lark, which I ordered overfilled to achieve about 0 degrees. It weighs 47 oz. in the stuff sack. Now such a bag will cost you over $400. But, I will say that purchase has proven, for me, to be one of the best that I have ever made in my life. Today, it still has about the same amount of loft as new and still is a great bag after all the years.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

If money is more important than weight, consider a synthetic bag. MontBell has a synthetic 0F bag for under $200, at 4.5 pounds, though.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

look for used, I picked up a Marmot Lithium used for a very good price (not quite $200 good though :) )

down bags (w/ reasonable care) can last a very (very) long time

Jeremy Price
    BPL Member

@tacomajpp

Thanks all for the advice. I think I will suffer the rest of the cold season in my 20 degree bag and just save some more for a nicer/higher quality bag for next year.

Joshua Gray
    BPL Member

@coastalhiker

I would consider the REI Halo. It is 750-fill and 44oz and is rated for 10deg. It retails for ~$300 and I'm sure you could easily get one for around $225.

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

The other consideration, besides price, is size. Don't buy a bag for price you like, only to find it's the wrong size for you. Too big, and you can't warm it up. Too small, and any insulation you bring in with you, will not loft. I made that mistake first time out. Find your size 1st, and then invest with confidence. Nothing like a great bag to inspire you to explore.

PS- 800+ fill is worth the price.

stephan

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

If you have more time than money research the fringes including Women's bags that aren't very long. In my case I found a Sierra Designs Myst great bag which had been bought on closeout and never used by the tallish buyer.I was the sole bidder. Ebay and other forums after all including BPL and Craig's list are gear time machines if you have the time.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I hike in the NC mountains, and imho the best bag for the money is the Western Mountaineering Antelope. Yes, it's over $400, though I got mine on a 40% off clearance at my local outfitter (sorry!).

Joseph Wright
    BPL Member

@hatchmaster

Locale: The Rockies

Kelty Cosmic Down Zero Degree

http://www.kelty.com/p-410-cosmic-down-0.aspx

3 lbs 11 oz

$160

Best bang for the buck I have found.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

You will need to time it right with Sierra Trading Post Deal Flyer, and emphasis on "for the money."
    STD has a Sierra Designs -5 BTU 800-fill bag for $298.
    DealFlyer deals vary, but yesterday's offer was 30% off plus free shipping, which puts it in the low 200 price range. Personally, I think it's a great deal, but I already have a nice Golite winter bag.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,3236D_Sierra-Designs-5-F-BTU-Sleeping-Bag-800-Fill-Power-Down-Mummy.html

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ok, if you are going to get a low powered down bag, save yourself the agony of a crappy bag from some 2nd rate company like REI and get a good synthetic bag that will weigh the same and cost the same.

REI bags, lose their loft quickly I have found compared to other manufacturers. 3 different REI bags over the years between myself, my brother, father, and friends. Yes, had several hanging in the closet just like my Marmot and Feathered Friends. Well my bros anyways. Bought same time. Used my other NON REI down bags for around 400 days sleeping in said bag and they still have far more loft after 20 years. The REI bag was dead at 10 due mostly to the fact that all of the down over the chest area seemed to "vanish". Same with the foot area. Maybe they have started building better bags, but since it says REI on the side, I doubt it. Their clothes seem to be fine though.

I would get a Synthetic 4lb bag from Patagonia, North Face, Marmot, before throwing money down the drain on a 600 down synthetic sleeping bag from some hack job company like REI who counts on selling to the general public who never uses their gear but once or twice a year at most. IE they can claim it "lasts" a long time to the general goes nowhere public. Off hand, I bet that most who read this forum are Not such folks.

4lb down bag or 4lb synetheic bag. Get the 4lb synthetic bag everytime. Will dry out faster if the Fhit hits the San. Only reason to get down is that for same rating it is lighter. If its a toss-up, its a no brainer generally speaking. Though senthetics traditionally do not keep their loft as long as down. Not sure about the newest polarguards etc.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

An option…

Campmor 0dF mummy
    $150 and 3# 5oz

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40067

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Or…

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___44245

Mtn Hardware. $180

0 degree syn 4lbs.

Jeremy Price
    BPL Member

@tacomajpp

Okay, update:

I did decide to wait and drop more coin on a nice bag. I ended up getting the Eastern Mountain Sports 0 degree Mountain Light Sleeping bag (long). It seems it may fit the bill (800 fill, 3 lbs, etc).

I'll report back after a few trips in cold weather.

Thanks for the advice.

James R
    BPL Member

@habakkuk

At $199 it is one hell of a deal. I have EMS 20 degree bag, and I love it! Please be sure to give us a report as to how your new bag performed when you come back!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools