Topic

2 person down quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2 person down quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve Madsen

@smads

Locale: Utah

I just finished my wife's birthday present! (even if I finished it the day after). I wanted a double quilt instead of always packing 2 sleeping bags for us, and I am hoping the dimensions will work. It ended up being 70" wide down to the footbox (footbox 17w x 10h), and 78" tall. I used 900 fill down and momentum fabric from Thru-hiker (the down was impressive) Thanks Thru-hiker.
    My wife sleeps much colder than I do, so I made the baffles 3" on half of it and 2.5" on the other half (hopefully I can remember which is the cool side in the field). I sewed them 6" apart.

Here are some pics:

2 person down top quilt - top

I am getting good loft from the down (over 6" when it is doubled on itself) so I am very happy with it.

2 person down top quilt - under

I was planning on an oval footbox, but was running out of time (or ran out of time) so I ended up going with a rectangle. Not as pretty, but just as useful.

Fun project. I hope it works good in the field. Thanks to all you MYOG'ers out there for the inspiration!

Steve

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Looks great! Thanks for sharing, I'm sure your wife loves it!

I hope to get a double wide quilt soon as well, and a double wide bivy. Now if I can only find the woman to share them with……;-)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

very good!

I think it works much better to have a two person size, rather than zipping together two bags, or whatever

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

That looks really nice! Weight?

Steve Madsen

@smads

Locale: Utah

Thanks…

The weight comes in at 2 lbs 2 oz.

I am pretty happy with the weight for the size, loft and 2 person use.

Fun project. Now I just need some more $$ and a new project.

amanda sadowsky

@coloamanda

Hi – love your down quilt you made – do you know an estimate of the cost? did you just follow MYOG's pattern? I want to make one but dont want to spend $350-400….thanks!!

Michael Richey
    BPL Member

@beaverboymike

Locale: Southern Utah

I love the project. Especially if it can help facilitate some quality time backpacking with your wife. Great gift! It does seem to be a bit large (wide) and maybe weigh more than needed. But I guess it depends on body size/types. I wonder if you could've saved some weight and been warmer if it was more tapered toward the bottom. I made a one person down quilt last year and want to make a double for my wife and I.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools