Topic

JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Solo and here is my list for my trip at the end of July and into August.

JMT Gear List

Gear Weight
    Pack-ULA CDT 17 oz.
    Integral Designs Sil Tarp 7.0 oz.
    Bearpaw Minalmist 1 Bug Bivy 9.5 oz.
    Sleeping Bag- WM Ultralite 29 oz.
    Sleeping Pad- Big Agnes Clearview 13.3 oz.
    Bear Canister- Bearvault BV450 33 oz.
    Stove- Soto Micro Regulator 2.6 oz.
    Snowpeak Canister 7 oz.
    GSI Halulite Mug 6.4 oz.
    (this includes the spork, pot grip and cozy)
    Stakes 3.50 oz.
    Cascades Designs Platy 1.20 oz.
    OR Rain Mitts 3.60 oz.
    Cocoon pillow 2.50 oz.
    Montbell Down Jacket 8.90 0z.
    Spare Clothing 21.50 oz.
    Cambleback 7 oz.
    Sea To Summit Mosquito Head Net 1.10 oz.
    Montane Windshirt 3.40 oz.
    Gossamer Gear Rain Chaps 1.80 oz.
    Integral Designs Poncho 4.80 oz.
    Spot 7.30 oz.
    (the Spot is non negotiable…solo=wife demand=no Spot-no trip)
    First Aid 5.70 oz.
    TP and Montbell Trowell 5.30 oz
    Sundries 4.50 oz.
    Emergency Kit 8.50
    Steripen Journey 5.50 oz.
    Steripen filter 2.3o oz.

Base weight just over 14 pounds

One meal at Red's Meadow Resort
    Re-supply at VVR

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

thats impressive, you can get all that in a cdt.

i started with one for our trip on the jmt this year and returned it for an ohm, and now have added a circuit.

I am carying more food as we have 3 of us, but man getting all that in a cdt is cool.

(would love to know how it carries with all that weight).

We will be on the trail at the same time, so yell when you go by!!!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

It fits but a lot of thought had to go into how to place things. Hope to see ya on the trail. Us lightweighters are easy to spot!!!

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Ken,

Great list, great trip ahead of you. Loved the JMT, and just looking back at the JMT photo thread last night, I want to go again very very very very very bad.

First thing that caught my eye was the SPOT, haha. My parents said the same thing about my trip. By the weight you posted, it looks like you have the SPOT 2.0 or whatever it's called, good for you.

I've used a steripen and filter before, and it works well. Perhaps also consider Tony Wong's gravity filter set up, which weighs about half of what you're doing now, and requires no effort. Though of course it has drawbacks, such as maybe getting another water container to fit your preferences, it can be done quickly and with little effort, and even as you walk (filter thru the bladder as you drink).

I also see a platy as well as a camelbak… confused. Explain? Do you need two bladders? I imagine you won't need more than 3 liters at any time, maybe 4 but that would certainly hold you over all day. You could maybe carry one less container and just refill during a lunch time?

Trowel for poopin? My advice, take it or leave it: be a man, use a stone or stick to dig your hole. I guess it should read, be a caveman. Many an ounce saved.

That's a great stove you got, the regulator! Good choice! I don't know how much you'll need to have a regulated stove, but that's a great stove! I see canister is your choice, worked well for me and works for many folks. Yeah yeah yeah, you could be lighter if…. but you know that.

Looks like a great list! But a camera and a journal to remember it by? I love opening up my JMT journal every few months. It brings back memories I've otherwise forgotten. I regret the couple of nights I didn't write anything, too. Worth its weight in gold, in my opinion.

I used the same bag on my trip (WM) and was plenty warm, but I'm sure you're a sierra junkie as well and know this. You're gonna have a great trip.

Ben

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ben, thanks for the reply. Camera wise, I am buying the new Flip video camera that has 2 GB's of space. Actually buying it tomorrow! I have the first version Flip and love the idea of making a movie. It can also take pictures! Actually I have hiked with Tony and have seen his filter in action, though I like his setup, I think I am sticking with my steripen. What my plan is, is to have one platypus in camp with elecrolytes say 2 liters, and one Cambleback bottle to drink on the go while hiking. I have been around to a lot of places in The Sierra's and I know that water will not be an issue late July into early August. Sip and go! I could eventually go lighter just using a 1 liter water bottle bought on the way, and to be honest, I most likely will. That will save me 6 ounces or so right there. My steripen can work with the bottle if I turn it upside down and turn the steripen on. Trowel is a personal choice. It's a Monbell trowel that weighs in at 1.3 ounces. I feel the weight penalty is not an issue. Knowing me, if I used a rock, I will get **** all over me when I am covering the whole. Trust me on this one, accidents find me. I might be lighteng my first aid kit a bit, but we will see with that one. Thanks for the encouraging words. This is my first solo so I am very excited as well as I have a little bit of apprehension. Wife drops me off, then I meet her at VVR for two days, and then I am off again. Should be fun though.

David Pex
    BPL Member

@dpex

Locale: Pacific NW

Some observations:

I found it useful to have the trowel, as there are places the soil is quite compact and hard.

My Thermarest failed on the trip, and I was not able to effectively repair it. I have replaced it with the old fashioned closed-cell blue foam, cut hip-length in the prolite shape.

It also got into the 20s at night in late August near Whitney, and I was glad I did not go with a 30-degree bag (especially when my pad went flat and offered little insulation). My gloves were too light for being on Whitney at dawn in 25 mph winds!

I love my Tarptent Contrail and ULA Circuit, great gear!

I like using a Jetboil I thought it was a heavier option, but from what I've seen, it actually seems lighter than the Caldera. Is that true?

Lots of water on the JMT. I carried a 3L Platypus with inline Sawyer filter (great product, no more pumping!) and also had a 1.5L cantene for camp water that I treated with AquaMira tablets (also worked quite well). Way more water than I needed, at least for the JMT in August.

My List:

Gear: Weight (oz.)
    Pack ULA Circuit 40.4
    Tent TT Contrail 21 sq.ft. 24.5
    Sleeping bag Marmot w/dry sack Helium Long 32.0
    Sleeping bag liner Jag Bags sleeping bag liner 4.75
    Sleeping pad Thermarest Prolite Small 11.0

jacket Marmot Nano 8.0
    Jet-boil Jet-boil 21.0
    wool shirt Montbell Ex Light Down Jacket 5.7
    containers Camelbak bladder+1.5L Cantene 9.0
    first aid/survival see below 20.6
    river driver shirt icebreaker layer 9.0
    inner pants BodyFit 200 leggings 7.5
    headlamp headlamp Petzl E+Light 1.6
    toilet paper toilet paper 2.0
    Cozy for freezer bag cooking 1.0
    clothing bag ULA Excursion Sack 1.3
    BearVault 41.0
    socks Icebreaker (1pr.) 2.5
    Icebreaker cap 1.0
    gloves 2.0
    Inline filter 2.0
    trail guide 3.0
    maps 1.0
    synthetic brief 2.0
    spork 0.5
    lighter 1.0
    Aqua Mira 0.5
    Rite in the Rain mini notebook 0.7
    Montbell trowel 1.4
    Spectra cord 1.0
    hand sanitizer 1.0
    Eric the Black’s Muir Trail Atlas 1.0
    TOTAL 268.24
    Weight before food and water: 16.76 lbs.

Consumables
    water Camelbak+1.5L 120.69
    food 36.80
    TOTAL 157.49
    Food and Water: 9.84 lbs.
    Pack Weight: 26.61 lbs.

Worn:
    Boots NB 1520GT 30.0
    Hat Tilley LT6B 3.6
    socks Icebreaker (1pr.) 2.5
    silk t-shirt 4.9
    synthetic brief 2.5
    Pants 14.0
    bandana 1.0
    Titanium Goat poles 6.4
    sunglasses 0.8
    watch 1.0
    whistle w/headlamp 0.0
    knife 2.0
    camera Pentax E70 5.6
    TOTAL 74.30
    Total Worn: 4.64 lbs.

Skin-Out Weight: 31.25 lbs.

first aid/survival:
    DEET 0.50
    first aid 2.00
    sunscreen 0.50
    lip balm 0.15
    compass 1.00
    signal mirror 0.50
    toothbrush 0.50
    toothpaste 1.00
    comb 0.10
    matches/lighter 0.30
    pen 0.10
    floss 0.50
    cash and ID 0.30
    extra ziplock bags 0.10
    foot powder 1.00
    duct tape 1.00
    metal match 1.00
    firestarter 1.00
    reading glasses w/case1.50
    peppermint soap 1.00
    phone calling card 0.10
    ibuprofen 0.50
    cell phone 4.00
    alarm watch 1.90
    TOTAL 20.55 oz.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks for the input David, I was actually reading your account when you posted this. Appreciate!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Hey Ken,

It looks like your gear is pretty close to being dialed in…

Now it's time to start thinking about the two elements that will make or break the trip, your physical and mental well being. Regarding the former, I assume your back issues are behind you (no pun intended). About mental issues, don't under estimate what can happen when you're alone in the mountains for the first time for days at a time. For some people this isn't an issue, but for others, myself included, you can start to justify why you should be home with your family, etc. This can lead to cutting to trip short, which you will probably always regret. I can't offer any advice on how to deal with this aspect of solo backpacking, but in my case, it gets easier with each solo trip I take (however, my improvement is being offset by the addition of two amazing kids).

See you in Coe in a four weeks.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Hey Casey, thanks for weighing in. My back is much better..However I did have a setback in the fall…Stretching and more exercise is making me stronger. As for the solo part. Yeah, I dunno how it is going to go. I am section hiking this and this is my second third. I am starting at Rush Creek TH and hiking into Garnett Lake the first night. Second night is at Reds Meadow, the third is Ducks Lake, the fourth will be Chief Lake. The reason I mention these places is that Reds Meadow will be around others, Ducks Lake and Chief Lake will be myself, and then I am off to VVR to meet my wife for two nights of relaxtion, food, beer, wine, steak (or whatever I want because I have a Yurt and will be cooking for myself!!!!!!!!!!). From there I am hiking south and exiting through Dusy, and onto South Lake, to complete my journey. Dave Wage mentioned that he is hiking around that time, and might join me for a few days so that would be very cool. I like hiking alone on day hikes and I know the evenings are the time to start the homesick routine. I will try to offset that with as much activities as possible.

You know how I am, I am a very sociable person and it should be interesting how I interact with others on the trail. I bet I talk every persons ear off that I meet. We shall see. Best part is, if I need to bail, I will have my car at South Lake and can hitch back to it. No worries there!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

No Bailing!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Naw man, bailing is NOT an options…unless…nevermind. All is good!

David Pex
    BPL Member

@dpex

Locale: Pacific NW

By the way, forget my silly query about Jetboils being as light as Calderas! I got ounces and grams mixed up :-0

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools