Topic

Foam Vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Foam Vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Martha S.

@kitfox

What an original idea. Thanks for experimenting and sharing.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Craig,

Thanks for the link to similar posts from 3 years ago.

Nothing much new in my recent experiments.

I think there is some good potential here but none of us has really hit the bulls eye yet.

The potential of closed cell foam continues to interest me.

Daryl

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> Another option for "foam" clothes is insultex or PEF

I've been using this sort of stuff as insulation for about 25 years, since I first encountered it as anti-static packaging used in the electronics company I did my university industrial year with. Then, it was 'JiffyFoam' (as in JiffyBags). Laminate floor underlay is similar, but not as strong as the packaging versions.

I've used it as sit mat, sleep mat, tent groundsheet, cosy material, etc. It's great stuff, and the insulation is gives is remarkable for the thickness (not formmaly tested by me…). The only down side for a groundsheet is the bulk, but for car camping, it makes a nice, waterproof, cushioning, insulating, protecting layer that makes a tent more comfortable.

Much thinner versions are often used to protect electronics goods, such as plasma screens. So it's often available for free.

I did once think about emergency bivvy bags, but, again, the bulk is a bit of an issue, as is breathability (but I'd bet the latter is fixable).

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Hi, cool vest, nice styling.

40 below used to make a foam-Back vest to prevent back sweat from soaking your down jacket under a backpack. There is just a pic on the front page now. They do sell some pretty comfortable foam. Also I have got nice foam from Oware. Both of them compress rather completely so dont make good footbeds. But jeez a hat of this stuff would fry your brain.

http://www.40below.com/products_start.php

Also, there are nice light PFDs now, come in colors too.

On my sleeping-pad vest, an interesting avenue to pursue might be attach poncho sleeves to the edge, also giving a few inches of groundsheet on the sides, beyond the foam.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Paul,

Thanks for the 40 below link.

I sent them an e-mail to get more info about the vest.

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dale,

I just noticed that you made an offer for me to use some of your blue 5mm EVA. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I overlooked that part of your post.

Anyhow, I have a lot of foam to experiment with and am more short of ideas and skills than foam so I'll pass.

Thanks for the offer, however.

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Kevin,

I fooled around with insultex but didn't think it worked very well for my needs. Here's a link. If you'll scroll down you will see my experience with it.

insultex

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Paul,

I got an e-mail back from 40 below in response to my request for more info on the foam vest. Vest weighs 18 ounces and has foam on the back only. Looks like they are aiming at the cold weather market. Still not quite what I'm looking for but heading in the right direction.

Daryl

"Hi Daryl, Thanks for contacting us! Are you heading somewhere cold soon? Sorry that the vest is not on our website, we are fixing part of thewebsite, and it will be back on soon. Here is a picture and some information: The "FORTY BELOWR VEST*"A truly revolutionary clothing piece! The Forty BelowR Vest is great forfolks who sweat a lot and are trying to reduce moisture buildup in theinsulating layers between your back and the backpack. Designed as a "zonevapor barrier" to keep perspiration moisture from accumulating in the layersof clothing between you and your pack. Ever take your pack off to find anexcess amount of water in your back insulation, only to quickly turn to ice?This vest will help eliminate most of this problem. Wear The Forty BelowRVest* on top of a synthetic underwear layer and then layer your insulationon top. The Forty BelowR Vest is best suited for long trips in extreme coldconditions. When you are done with your activity, you can take off the vestand freeze-dry the perspiration off the inside back. Moisture that will bein your base layer is much easier to dry than to try and get it out of athick fleece or insulated jacket. Use this vest also as a sit pad or extrainsulation under your torso while sleeping. We also use it for watersportsactivities, as it is a great way to add insulation under a PFD. The back isa thin neoprene foam that is rubber on the back side, and nylon on theinside. The front of the Forty BelowR VestT is made of a medium weightsynthetic fleece material that is warm yet allows moisture to wick well anddry fast. Two front pockets, a heavy duty zipper, shorter cut in the frontto help keep out of the way of hip belts and climbing harnesses, longer cutin the back to help insulate the lower back."…anyone who has carried a pack and sweated and soaked their insulation,which then froze or didn't dry should realize what an advantage this radicalproduct could be in your climbing wardrobe. I give it a 9 on a scale of 1to 10" Marc Twight Rock and Ice magazine Product Review, February 1993SIZES: S, M, L, XL,XXL. Weight: 18 oz. size Medium. Please let me know if you have any questions, etc! You can order the vestby calling us, or placing an order on our website by ordering a "t-shirt",and we can manually adjust your order and we do not charge your card untilwe actually ship the order. There is a place you can put that the order isfor a vest in the Comments box of the check out pages. Joel AttawayForty Below, LtdP.O. Box 39Graham, WA 98338 USATel: 253.846.2081Fax: 253.846.7853www.40below.com"

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools