Topic

recommendation for vest- on the move AND insulation for camp/sleep

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) recommendation for vest- on the move AND insulation for camp/sleep

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> I just need the Goldilocks of fleece vests :)

Indeed. As the temperature drops, activity level significantly changes the absolute amount of insulation. The colder it gets, the more you want different insulation for when you are active, when you are are at rest, and when you sleep. Hence the common light to mid weight fleece (or insulating softshell) for activity, belay jacket (or some other high loft garment) for at rest, and a sleeping bag or quilt for sleeping.

One way to to make a vest do all is aim to vary activity level to stay warm when you are active, and skip "at rest" and go stray to your sleeping insulation which you vent until you do sleep. There are some thru-hikers I have met that do this. No insulation other than there bag. I am not comfortable doing this, but for someone who is trying to go as light as possible, this can work. You just want to make sure you camp just before a big up to help you kick start warming up in the morning.

The other approach would be learn from folks who are very into mindfulness like Buddhist monks who use fairly minimalist clothing in a wide range of conditions.

–Mark

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

mike …

it's called a zipper ;)

goldilocks didnt have one … you do on yr vest …. lol

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ahhhh :)

Mark- the aim of the vest isn't so much to have it do all- like you might be able to do w/ 3 season use, this is aimed at winter (or near winter) conditions, so I'll have a decent puffy layer (Alpine Light parka), but I can see where a vest could augment that puffy layer in camp (or sleep) when the mercury drops- the conundrum comes in that I also see a need using same said vest (again when the mercury drops) on the move

the fleece appears to be the better choice on the move, looks like the thin syn trumps the fleece in camp

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

A Klymit vest may be a good choice for you. Sweating in it isn't going to mess it up. If you're planning to put on other layers in camp, you just need to wipe off your sweat.

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products/double-diamond.html

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eugene- Dan also mentioned looking into this hi-tech vest, very interesting to say the least :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

has anyone here actually used a klymat vest in the backcountry?

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Re: “I would take a serious look at Klymit argon gas vests…. They aren't affected by moisture…” Is this the answer to a question raised in another thread, namely, how does one cope with the foggy, soggy, wet, muggy, moist PNW?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Is this the answer to a question raised in another thread, namely, how does one cope with the foggy, soggy, wet, muggy, moist PNW?

It might be, but the only inflatable sleeping system that I'm aware of went out of production several years ago.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eugene said "It might be, but the only inflatable sleeping system that I'm aware of went out of production several years ago."

oh I see, want me to be the guinea pig :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thought I would update the thread, found a used (new version) R2 for a good price, should be in my greasy hands within a week :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

quick update- have had the R2 vest out a couple of times w/ temps right at 0 (that's F :) )- with a light base layer (Cap1) and a R1 pullerover- the addition of the R2 was just about perfect. w/ light winds it was all that was needed, when the wind picked up I broke out the windshirt

these have been day trips, camping I still think a syn vest might be a little more advantageous w/ the clo edge

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools