Topic

Snowy Scenery Camping in LA Area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Snowy Scenery Camping in LA Area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Thomas

@caramelmarx

Locale: Southern California

Any ideas for a nice short backpacking trip in the area? I would love to camp out in the snow because I have never hiked in it before but I don't have any gear I don't think, that would be required. Is there a two or three day trip out there that I can hit up before this snow melts? I have only ever hiked the bridge to nowhere and the rest of my time here has been spent in the Santa Monica Mtns because they are closer. :P Thx

Matthew Thomas

@caramelmarx

YouTube video

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I didn't see anything rude

Since no one else responded to you, many years ago I would go up in the San Gabriel Mountains. There's this ridge that Mount Waterman is on that's pretty nice. The PCT is further to the South. Close to LA. Granite like the Sierras at lower elevation. I did it mainly as day hikes. Take the Angeles Crest Highway North out of LaCanada.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Matthew,
    In the Baldy area, I went up Icehouse Canyon and did not reach the snow until about 3 miles up. Problem is you would need snow gear to sleep up there as it gets icy early and late in the day and the trails are steep. There may still be good snow up in San Jacinto within a couple miles of the arial tram, but I havent checked. that's another hour out for you though. You may have to wait for another decent snow.

Oh wait, Big Bear might be the place if you go quick. the snow is very thin but its there.

Matthew Thomas

@caramelmarx

Hi, thanks for the trip advice. I was thinking I could camp in the snow alright if I had some snow stakes for my tent and some little YakTraks or something for the climb up. I have a twenty degree bag which should do me fine judging by the weather reports. Though, I went up Baden Powell once and seeing that steep mother covered in snow seems like a downright dangerous place to be without an axe or something, i'm not sure. You are right maybe I will have to wait.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools