Topic

I know we decided gear sucks and all, but check this out: Cuben Infused Cyanocitta.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I know we decided gear sucks and all, but check this out: Cuben Infused Cyanocitta.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Would be cool with a cuben footbox as well, lot of condensation down there too.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Ike,

I offer eVent footboxes, which can be pretty effective, but I wouldn't recommend a Cuben footbox with a breathable body.. The concern is, if you block the footbox moisture inside the quilt, it's just going to migrate to other areas, and get trapped there.

Jerry,

I actually recommended using eVent for the top strip to the customer, but I think he made the right choice with the cuben. Since the cuben is completely waterproof, it's not going to absorb any of that moisture, and since it doesn't have any protruding fibers, I think most of the moisture is going to bounce right off of it. It likely will form some condensate on the outside, but at least it will not soak the insulation, and can be wiped right off. Since the moisture vector is from outside the quilt, it shouldn't migrate inside.

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

I'm really excited about my new quilt. The weight is amazing, 542g (19.11oz) on my scale. I took a few pictures to show off the quilt and with my Arc Alpinist for comparison. Javan was great to deal with and has excellent attention to detail.

I wanted this quilt as light and warm as possible while still maintaining versatility. I was tempted by shell fabrics like M50 and cuben. I think this quilt with down clothing will be comfortable at 0F. I can't wait to get out and try it.

Cyanocitta 1

Cyanocitta 2

Cyanocitta 3

Cyanocitta 4

I took a few pictures with my Alpinist. The Nunatak quilt is a medium with 2oz of overfill weighing 595g (20.98oz). The Nunatak will be on the gear swap shortly.

Cyanocitta 5

Cyanocitta 6Cyanocitta 7

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

For What It’s Worth: note the length of the “Long:” 6 feet, which is long enough to cinch around the neck, so it’s not exactly a “Half Bag” or “Elephant’s Foot.”

Vireo
    25°-45°F / -4°-7.2°C 1 lb 62" $234 $234
    1 lb 1oz 68" $249 $249
    1 lb 2oz 72" $259 $259
    The Vireo was designed with alpine climbers in mind. It has no zipper, no hood, a variable down fill and weighs only 16 ounces. A variable down fill means that the lower part of the bag has more down fill (rated to 25) and the upper section has less fill (a 45 rating).

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools