Topic

Cuben Fiber Chest Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber Chest Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Here is my first real sewing project. The liberty ridge jacket which I started a couple of days ago was overwhelming for me. I had to dumb it down and make this first. It is actually a horrendous sewing job but I think it performs it's function quite well. I re-enforced the top and bottom by bonding strips because I was nervous about some of the threads coming undone.

10" wide X 12" Tall
    12" waterproof zipper
    1.4 ounces.

More info and pics:
    Cuben Fiber Chest Pack

CCP

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Interesante!

Looks like you folded pleats into the top layer cuben to allow for some expansion.. What made you decide on the full length vertical zipper? I guess to get a hand in either side? My only concern would be things falling out, however, looks great for maps, etc.

I always hate having to take my pack off to get at a topo, yet find myself doing it ALOT.

Very cool.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Hey Javan,
    Well, to be honest, I had big plans for this thing but my newly acquired sewing skills didn't let me do everything i wanted…regarding the zipper, I made a mockup of it and when the zipper was horizontal, I couldn't get my hand in too far and definitely couldn't reach the bottom so I figured the center vertical zip would be worth a try. It was my first time working with a zipper and I need to learn a few tricks – I wasn't even sure how to install it so I just winged it…it functions but is less than beautiful :) I put some pleats on the front panel so I could fit a water bottle in there aswell as some snacks, but we'll see how well it handles the loads when I try it out.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"when the zipper was horizontal, I couldn't get my hand in too far and definitely couldn't reach the bottom"

Would be easier to get your hand in with a horizontal zipper if you wore it slightly canted. Might be less appealing to wear that way though.

Or, I guess, the zipper could be slightly canted as well instead of straight across.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

That looks pretty handy for flat things like maps. Also looks like it would work for something long that is lying on its side (e.g. a gallon zip lock half filled with gorp and rolled up like a burrito with a rubber band on it. I think that vertical zipper could work fine. Might just take a little practice to see what works in there and what doesn't.

Sometimes I stumble upon useful things by accident or due to sewing ease. Maybe you have with this item. Time will tell.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Steve,

We in the MYOG community salute you!

>>my newly acquired sewing skills didn't let me do everything I wanted<<

Even after much time and experience sometimes the sewing skills still will not let us do what we want to do in our mind's eye.

>>I wasn't even sure how to install it so I just winged it<<

That is called a learning experience.

I have a somewhat similar project in mind for my camera, cell phone and, come to think of it, my maps and guides could go in there also.

Personally I'd stick the water bottles on the shoulder straps as something as heavy as a water bottle may dig into your chest and stomach area. Let us know how the trial run goes.

Did you go through any withdrawls because of a sewing project that didn't involve a home cooked meal after the sewing was finished? ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

John,
    Everytime time I read one of your posts I laugh. Thanks! As for withdrawals, you bet. There was a time when I was #1 son, but ever since the arrival of my niece and nephew, my mom doesn't seem as interested in manufacturing UL gear for me! ;)

I'll let you guys know how it goes with the pack assuming it doesn't come apart on me mid-trip.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Steven,

Neat project! If you find yourself reaching for the map a lot, a flat open pocket sewn to the back of your chest pack would be a great place to stow it. It also reduces wear on the rubberized waterproof zipper. A lot of tactical admin pouches have this feature.

Nancy Charlier
    BPL Member

@ncharlier

Locale: Midwest

Steve

The chestpack looks cool–I think you are too hard on yourself. What problems are you having with the Liberty Ridge? I've been thinking about tackling one of these myself, but I haven't sewn any garments for going on 20 years, so I've been worrying about it. Are you using Momentum 50?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Nancy,
    I started the liberty ridge last week when I literally had ~5 minutes of sewing experience. I may sit in front of the machine for hours, but the actual sewing time (foot pressing the pedal) is quite low. I abandoned the project after laying out the pattern and reading the instructions. It just seemed too much for someone still learning the absolute basics and I wasn't yet even comfortable with sewing simple straight lines. It seemed like a smart choice. You'll probably be fine if you know your way around stitches, seams, etc. I am going to use the WP/B cuben fiber for the LR. On a good note, yesterday there was a noticeable increase in my skills. I actually put the pedal to the metal and ran my little beast full throttle!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools