Topic

one person shelter opt.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Okay I'm going to try this again. I'm looking for some ideas for a light weight one person shelter to use from spring to fall in Mid-South east coast. I like SMD Lunar Solo and MLD Trailstar. I got some good feed back on my last post. Would like it to be pretty light, bug prof options, storm worthy, a floor of some type and large enough for someone over six foot. and yes I know the Trailstar is a tarp but it can meet all my requirements with a ground cloth bivy or bug tent. so I hope that gives an idea of what I want. Feed back please!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Trailstar is a great shelter/tarp, but there isn't a perfect bug netting to go with it. If you are comfortable using a bivy, then the Trailstar is a versatile shelter to get. If you do want a bug net option, then you could try the SMD Serenity Net-tent (what I have) or a bug net from Bearpaw. I have only used my Serenity netting with the Trailstar once on a rainy overnighter in Rainier and I did NOT practice setting it up before hand. The main issue I had was that the optimal height of the Serenity (so it drapes off the bag) and the optimal placement of the corners (to get a good rectangular pitch) won't necessarily match up with the pitched height and width of the Trailstar, depending on what kind of site you set up at.

I think the Trailstar will be my go-to shelter in the "shoulder" seasons, paired with my TiGoat bivy and a polycro groundcloth. For full-on bug season, I am looking at options more like a Lightheart or SMD Lunar, etc.

Also, check out Travis Leanna's trip report from Glacier, where he has a few pics of his 2-person Bearpaw net tent under the Trailstar. The central pole goes through the net-tent and probably fits it better than anything else right now.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hi Kurt,

If you're looking for a new perspective on the same question, you might get more responses by moving to the GEAR forum, rather than General Lightweight. My experience is that more people watch and participate there than here.

Rod

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I use the MLD Duomid with the SMD Serenity inner for solo use. I'm 6'2" and have just enough room in the Serenity, if I was a back sleeper I would need more length. It's a great setup, pretty quick to setup, about 25oz with 4 groundhog stakes and six titanium hooks. I've posted some pictures in the past.

Ryan

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Thanks for the feed back everybody. I ordered a Six Moon Designs Lunar solo last night and I will probably buy the MLD Trailstar too. I sucks being addicted to gear!

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

n/m wrong thread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools