Topic

Gaiters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Gaiters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

The idea of making my own gear is intriguing. I was thinking about starting with some gaiters.

I have been looking at the MLD Superlights and the Integral Design eVents as possible purchases. I am thinking about trying to make something similar on my own.

Would M50 or M90 work for this? Or is it not waterproof enough? Where can I find some info on eVent specs and buying options?

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

neither of the M50 or M90 is waterproof, just water resistant. And both are pretty thin, so I personally would think they might wear out quickly. As far as I know you can't buy eVent by the yard. Maybe just try a nice generic 3-layer waterproof breathable material? You can get it cheaply, and it should be fairly durable.

good luck!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Momentum??????
    I rather think you may have missed the point of gaiters. They are por protection, and Momentum is not going to provide that!
    I make my own gaiters – see
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_gaiters_for_bushwhacking.html
    I use unproofed 500 denier Cordura for the top and proofed 1000 denier Cordura around the shoe.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I use some ancient OR gaiters. They have a heavy/protective fabric that goes from the instep and over the ankle bone. Then a medium/breathable fabric goes from there, and over the calf muscle (which is where heat is generated). Thin fabrics would be fairly wrong, in my opinion.

–B.G.–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools