Topic

Glacier National Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Thanks Clayton, I did do some checking, and as of now we will be cutting it close. The last day of the shuttle is Sept. 2nd. I was wondering about catching the shuttle at the loop, was concerned if it would stop there, the map shows it does, but will it really, who knows, like you said it may be full. Over all this should be a great trip, one of those, "Once in a life time hikes for me". I can't wait.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Glad to help. Glacier is a once-in-a-lifetime place. That late in the season–honestly, I don't know, but I hope–you may have good luck at the Loop. It is Labor Day Weekend though. When I worked for the concessionaires, that was traditionally the last day of tourist season. My experience was that traffic dropped off dramatically after that weekend, and definitely some before. You always have the possibility of hitching it down too. People are generally amenable to hikers; though, there are no guarantees.

Whatever happens, you have an epic hike ahead.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Changing entry/exit is no problem, the NPS justs wants to know when to think you overdue when your car is still around.

That trip will be excellent. Good camps, getting better as they go. I would definitely start at Logan, those flatter 7.5 miles are probably easier than the steep 3.5 up from the Loop. Mok Junction to Fifty will be the hardest day, by a fair margin.

Enjoy, and might see you out there. Not sure what my plans will be just yet.

Colin O

@colin_odonnell

Locale: Brooklyn

Hey Joey, how did the trip turn out? did the milage seem accurate? was 17+ miles reasonable? any favorite camps? Looking to do the same loop but in July.

Joseph K

@jkifer

Planning a trip for 8-10 days at the end of july/early august. Looks like it's too late to reserve most of the good sites, so planning on doing a walk-in permit. Anyone have experience with walk-ins? Probably looking to do a 5 night and 2-3 night trip while there. Recommendations would be great! thanks

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

We managed to walk in around early August. Originally we had reserved a horseshoe from Bowman over the Brown and Boulder passes and back by Lower Kintla lake (BEAUTIFUL site). However, even in August, the mountain passes were still snow covered, and we were not prepared to navigate on snow without trails. We ended up changing our reservations when we arrived. It was not difficult.

I wouldn't suggest doing the route we originally planned–it would likely be a tough hitchhike from Kintla to Bowman (http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/hikes/354490)

However, I would suggest going to the west side of the park if only to stop by the Polebridge Mercantile. I'm pretty sure everyone would agree it is a must-stop location. Especially once you're off trail.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Adrian, what year did you come?

I was up near Brown a couple of weeks ago and it was snow free. Boulder was well on its way out too.

Joseph K

@jkifer

Thanks. That's helpful. Leaning toward doing the northern loop and maybe adding an out and back to goat haunt. Glad to hear that permits weren't too difficult. Did you line up early AM or go at a normal time?

Joseph K

@jkifer

Wound up getting lucky yesterday and was able to get a permit for the north loop! Four nights as of now, but may try to change it when I arrive to allow for an extra day or two. The permit is for:

ELF
    STO
    FIF
    GRN

A few questions:

1. Are there any great day hikes off the north loop that you'd recommend if I can get an extra day or two?

2. Any feedback on difficulty of the route would be awesome.

3. As it currently stands, I'll be arriving to the park afternoon of 7/27. First back-country night at ELF will be 7/28 and we'll come out on 8/1. My flight back isn't until 8/5 (need to leave park on 8/4), so I'll have 3-4 days free. Options are: (1) try to extend north loop trip, (2) do a second 2 night trip, or (3) day hikes. I'm learning toward trying to do a second 2 night trip if I can get a walk-in permit. Hoping for the oldman lake and no-name lake at two medicine, but would love some more opinions from folks who've spent time in the park.

Thanks!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Those are fantastic permits. Fifty Mtn to Granite Park will be a short day, so make sure to take a trip up to the Swiftcurrent Lookout.

Honestly, Oldman and No Name Lakes are best done as part of the Pitamakan-Dawson loop for a day hike. If you do it counter-clockwise, you have a little easier elevation grade. Either way, you get all of your climbing done early, and it becomes a beautiful trip from there.

If you want to do a 2 night trip, look into something like Red Eagle Lake one night, to Gunsight Lake the next, and out to Lake McDonald Lodge. Leave your car at the lodge and shuttle to St. Mary to start the hike. You could also pay for a shuttle to Many Glacier, and go up Piegan Pass Reynolds Creek then up and over Gunsight Pass the next day and down to LML. Honestly, if you can swing it, this would be the more scenic option.

You could do a semi-loop in the North Fork. Say up Bowman Lake to Brown and Boulder Passes, and out Kintla Lake. Harder to work logistically though.

Have fun. Lots of good options.

Joseph K

@jkifer

Thanks, Clayton. Really appreciate the help.

What are your thoughts on the day from ELF to STO?

I like your idea a lot about Bowman to Brown/Boulder. I'd like to spend some time on the west side of the park and have heard great things about brown/boulder/hole in the wall. Is there any way besides hitchhiking to get from kintla to bowman? How difficult shoudl i expect hitching a ride to be? Other option would be to hike either bowman/kintla as an out-and-back.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

1. Are there any great day hikes off the north loop that you'd recommend if I can get an extra day or two?
    2. Any feedback on difficulty of the route would be awesome.

<< Great, great route and campsites. I'd be surprised if you can get extra days, as all those places are in high demand. None of the days should be especially hard. I'd get an early start day one, as the first five miles of trail up to the Tunnel is often temporarily closed due to bears. I've been delayed for 90 minutes in that stretch while a ranger waited for a feeding Griz to move away from the trail. On day two a side trip up to Mokowanis Lake might be worthwhile, but honestly that time is best spent just gawking at the final few miles up to Stoney Indian Pass, and hanging out and swimming in the lake at camp. The third day should be the hardest, as that big climb up to 50 can be pretty hot. The big meadow a mile from camp is a good place to hang out and spend time before rolling in for the day. The third day should be fairly easy. I'd take the time to hike up to Ahern Pass, and possibly up the talus to Iceberg Notch. These will give you a pretty cool view of much of your route. Swiftcurrent Lookout is good also.

Either the Gunsight option Clayton outlined or the Kintla-Boulder-Bowman loop would be good for a second trip. Hitching out of Kintla might take a while, but shouldn't be too bad in August. I'd count on having to potentially wait a few hours, but that's the sort of location where it's pretty obvious what you're doing and drivers should be sympathetic. Seeing the North Fork would be a good compliment to your first trip.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools