Topic

5 day Trips in the NE???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 5 day Trips in the NE???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I'm looking for a 5 day trip in the NE (NJ,PA,NY,CT) area. Trying to stay off the AT and the Long Path. Planning to do in it from early Spring to Fall; so any trips that come to mind during the time-frame would be awesome.

Also- a brief review of it as well. Thanks a mil

Mark

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

One option would be the Mid-State Trail that runs North-South through the center of Pennsylvania. Google it and you'll find lots of information. It would be a shuttle hike but there are services available to help.

I'm doing a 4-day section this Spring. Good luck!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

How many miles per day?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Try the Nothvile-Placid Trail. http://www.nptrail.org/

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Would you also be interested in Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine? Much more options up there.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Maybe 10 or so miles. I take my time and enjoy the roses. Further North is ok as well, Maine, Vermont and such. I would most likely hit the Northerner regions during the Summer. I teach so have some flexibility during that time. Thanks everyone and please keep them coming.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Anywhere in Vermont in the late summer/early autumn will be nice. My vote would be going somewhere on the northern half of the Long Trail, after it has separated from the AT. The trail is still pretty good, nice shelters, practically no people. Unless you run into a college group, but they usually stick to the southern areas.

In the spring I would avoid Vermont and the surroundings because of the high rainfall and constant mud. unless that's your sort of thing.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The Eastern High Peaks area of the Adirondacks has a LOT of trails. I avoid them in summer (when school is out) because they are very popular.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33889.html

Also, look at the Cranbery Lake 50.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=141543549423

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i can do 70 miles or so in 5 days. here's the options in PA that appeal to me.

Quehanna Trail – 74 miles of awesome (loop)

Laurel Highlands Trail – 70 miles of ridge hiking. some great vistas. (linear)

Mid State Trail – 320+ miles – part of larger trail network so it can be made into a loop at several places. (linear)

Tuscarora Trail – 105+ miles in PA – can be part of a large loop. (linear)

Standing Stone Trail – 72 miles was previously called the Link Trail. links Tuscarora Trail with the Mid State Trail (linear)

here is a handy trail tool for PA:

http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=65

Finn Anthony

@finnanthony

Don't forget about The Black Forest Trail even though it is 42 miles long . Great views , fishing and climbs to tire you out ! Top notch for a loop trail in the middle of great country .

Will Webster

@willweb

Quehanna: Has some fantastic trails cutting across the loop, so you can customize the length to whatever works for you.

Laurel Highlands: I'm pretty sure you're required to stay at one of the designated sites (with tested water!), and reserve your shelter ahead of time. Great for first timers but not a lot of room to be spontaneous.

Black Forest: Wonderful hike, but probably too short for 5 days.

Loyalsock Trail: Very nice. Linear, although there is at least one option for a long weekend loop.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I believe Will is right about Laurel Highlands, and not only that you must stay at the designated site, but that you must stay in the lean-to/shelter at the site and not set up your own. This should be checked.

The Susquehannock Trail System is a great hike as well, though it's 85 miles overall you can shorten it. Beautiful scenery. You could even cobble your own together as the STS and the Black Forest Trail run close enough together with attaching trails.

If you're only doing 10 miles per day, the 42 miles of the Black Forest might be quite good, as there is a LOT of elevation gain and loss, it's one of the tougher trail in PA, but well worth it.

Loyalsock is 60 miles, and again a beautiful trail. I really enjoyed doing the trail this past summer – it throws a lot of looks at you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools