Topic

Any advice would be appreciated.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Any advice would be appreciated.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Justin Voss
    BPL Member

@pd28532

This summer I am doing a 2700 mile self-supported mountain bike race. The trail follows the North America divide route from Banff, Canada to Antelope Wells, New Mexico. Part of the fun is loading all my gear on my bike. Given that it climbs 200,000 feet, I am trying to be light as possible.

I haven't been through-biking (or bikepacking as it is know) for very long. I have whittled down my kit as best I can but I just know that there are good people out there that could help me get it even lighter.

For reference, the race follows mostly old forrest service roads and goes through several towns, so I can resupply most days if I need to. The most critical element, in my view, is being able to bike for about 16 hours a day. Part of that is being comfortable with my sleep system and having warm enough clothing to continue riding past the siren call of a motel room, even in to hail and lightning storms. (See the website, tourdivide.org.)

Here is my list, feel free to hack it up as you see fit. (For reference, all weights are in grams. The grand total is 10.04 pounds, sans bike)

Shelter

Bivy (older OR, I can't remember the name but I know that I can use it in pouring rain and stay dry) 499
    Bag (WM Highlite) 509
    Pad (Neo Air) 274
    Pillow ? 70

Total: 1352g

Utilities (Body, mind, and bike maintenance)

Toothbrush/paste 33
    Body glide 60
    Anbesol 12
    A and D 81
    Toilet paper 30
    Chain Tool 120
    Lube 50
    Chain brush 9
    Tube (x2??) 300
    Tire Patch Kit 15
    Allen wrenches 59
    Super glue 25
    Fire starter kit 22
    First Aid Kit (bandages, duct tape, advil, safety pins, tape, soap, etc) 100
    Medical scissors 19
    Zip ties 4
    Batteries 108
    Cell 195
    Charger w/ bat 76
    Credit Card 5
    Passport 33
    Golden link 5
    Condensed cues (race course guide) 30
    Sunscreen 154
    Brake pads 2x 52
    Spoke tool 30
    Tire plug kit 30
    Dry bag (front of bike) 21
    Ditty Sack 15
    Bear Whistle 10

Total 1698g

Clothing

Sun glasses 29
    Rain Jacket 184
    Rain Pants ? (knickers!!) 110
    Wool gloves 44
    Rain mits 58
    Down Jacket 182
    Arm warmers 79
    Leg Warmers 135
    Light wool hat 60
    Intergral booties 69

Total 950g

Hydration

Water filter 83
    Water bottle 2x 172
    Water bladder 2x 308

Total 563g

Thanks for helping a noob out!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I dont know much about what you are doing, but I would not head out with a Bivy bag alone.
    I would also pack a cuben tarp. Should weigh about 6 oz or so.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Sounds like you are biking the Continental Divide Trail? I am sure a few people on here have hiked it and would be able to give you more specific gear advice with regards to the conditions you will experience. my two cents:

.01 Most people's issue with a bivy is entry/exit during heavy rain. no matter how waterproof it is when shut, when you open it to get out, everything will be left unprotected. A small tarp over the head area could suffice for this. Plus you could use your bike as a support for the tarp.

Let me try to outline what I am thinking. from above, you have your ivy laid out, and the bike to the right of it at the head end. Stake left side of a small tarp (MLD has one) to the ground to the left of the ivy, and attach right side of tarp to seatpost/handlebars of bike. If you are oriented so rain is coming at the tarp side, you should be pretty well off.

.02 have you thought about how you will be attaching your gear? you list a dry bag, but thats it? spend a lot of time thinking about where you want stuff. do you need access while riding, center of gravity, mud from the tires, etc

also, as Mike would say, nix the TP! not totally needed as you have a pretty good list so far, but the freedom of not needing TP is a huge weight off of your back!

-Will

Justin Voss
    BPL Member

@pd28532

I will look into getting a tarp and experiment with setting it up on the bike.

I'm attaching the gear to my bike with bags that are designed for bikepacking by Eric at Revelatedesign.com. (I forgot to list their weight because I have them under bike weight in my excel spreadsheet.)

I have most of the gear laid out on the bike in a pretty good manner from other trips/training. Although, it seems that organization is a never ending process….

Justin Voss
    BPL Member

@pd28532

Well…. I did it. I finished in 20 days, which nabbed me an 11th place finish.

Thanks to everybody for all the advice on this thread and abroad in the forums as well.

My gear ended up being pretty light, 32 pounds including bike.

If anybody finds this thread through a google search and wants to talk bikepacking gear, feel free to send me an email.

Thanks again!

Michael Moore

@lilricky

Great going Justin! Have you written a journal about your experiences? Would love to read it.

Justin Voss
    BPL Member

@pd28532

Thanks, it was quite the adventure and I learned tons about my backpacking/bikepacking setup.

I haven't started writing it up yet but I will. I did a daily (most days anyways) video journal and took some photos. I plan to do a write up day by day as I have time and mental energy (It's still kinda hard to relive at this point). Check out beyondthebadge.blogspot.com in the coming weeks for the full story!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

+1 on the cuben tarp. I would not try that without a tarp especially with a down bag.
    You will need about 3 oz of stakes and cordage so figure 9oz total.

You can do a cuben/m55 bivy to go with the tarp that weighs about 5 oz.

Sounds like fun except for the 14 hours per day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools