Topic

Kookabay pads! Let’s see them.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kookabay pads! Let’s see them.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

There has been some discussion as of late on lightweight sleeping pads.

I've yet to see anyone post pics on their custom KookaBay pad, or am I just missing them? I'd like to see a few pictures, hear your thoughts, details you would change or not change if you were to order again.

Thanks.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I hope to receive my downmat next week, maybe Monday.

I'll gladly post photos……..

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

I'm interested too. Just received my pillow from Ben today. Tiny little thing!

Will Webster

@willweb

I emailed Bender a couple days ago asking about an insulated pad and haven't heard back yet. He posted a couple months back that he was working on a revised website which would let us design our own pads but I guess that's still in the works.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

I have a Kookabay 60" x 22" synthetic filled pad on order. I hope to get in sometime around Jan. 24th. I will post photos and a quick pre-trip review when it gets here. Here's a vote for an updated website for Kookabay also!

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

Robert,

Which synthetic is your pad being filled with (PrimaLoft, ClimaShield, etc)? Also, do you know if baffles are being used in your pad?

Thanks!

Nick

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Eugene,
    I have two Bender pads, one uninsulated and one insulated. Both are 48" x 20" (with taper to foot end) x 1.5".

Bender Pad

I only posted the one picture with both looking identical.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

I wasn't aware of any choices or differences in the filling other than down or synthetic. I didn't want down because I don't want to hassle with a pump. I know synthetic has some condensation issues also, but they are usually from longer term use and I am only out for, at most 9 nights or so. I really wish that there was more info on the website. I feel like a 'pest' having to e-mail Bender all of my questions.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Great Thom, it looks very sharp. Specs (shell 30D,70D)? Thickness and insulation type? How well does it inflate/deflate?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I have one of Bender's down pads for winter.

Size: 3.5 x 24 x 75 (9 x 61 x 191 cm)
    Weight: 27 oz (765 g)
    Fill weight: 8 oz (227 g) of 750 goose down

Here is a shot of it last month with a Bask half-bag on it.Kooka Bay pad

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

I would be interesed to know whats the coldest temperatures folks have used the R6 pad in and does it allow to use a lighter sleeping bag.

Thanks,

Stephen

Eric Falk
    Spectator

@zerolimit

Hey Raymond do you have any idea what r-value that mat is given? How do you blow that mat up? I just purchased a exped 9 but I wouldn't mind spending the money for the weight savings of a kookabay.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Eric,

I bought a short R6 Bender pad to replace my Down Mat 9, I have retired the DM9 to car camping and as spare bed if I have more guests than beds.

Cheers,

Stephen

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

The pad I have coming from Bender is 74" x 24" x 4" with an R value of 6 and weighs 25.8 oz.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have 2 mummy 24 x 2.5 x 60 pads from Bender – one with (18.4 oz) and one without (12.6) down. I also bought the 2 oz Big Agnes bellows pump from Bender. It takes not quite 5 squishes for me to inflate the down pad and 14 puffs (I'm told my lungs are smaller than normal) to inflate the air pad. The increased weight of the down and the pump are offset by the fact my winter tent is lighter than my summer tent. I love them to pieces.
    kookabay

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

All really great feedback everyone, thank you. Some of you have full length, partial length, mummy, rectangular, radius edged, down filled, synthetic, lots of variation here.

Ray, Great looking pad, your pad dimensions are generous, very comfy I'm sure.

Kathleen, thanks for the info, your pad closer resembles the pads available from his website currently. Does the 6oz. additional down in your insulated version make a considerable difference for you in comfort and warmth? I know 6oz. is quite a bit of down so I'm sure it raises the R-value considerably, no doubts there, I'm just curious what your real world personal experience between the two pads is, how do they compare?

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Raymond,

Are those dimensions for the inflated size? Or empty/flat? Do you stack it with a CCF in lower temps?

Thanks!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

someone really should trade Bender some of their web skills for a pad(s) :)

<– unfortunately that's not me :(

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

I have contemplated asking him that…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ please do! :)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Eugene – my experience with the down v. air pads needs some background information first. I backpack in the Pacific NorthWet, usually above 4,000', I'm trying to get by with a 20 degree quilt and not a full bag year 'round, and I'm a cold sleeper. I always use a 1/8" GG ccf under any pad to protect them from poky things and add a little more insulation. I got the down and air pads in April, so I haven't tested the down pad on snow yet, mostly because I'm running out of friends who will do that. I may just go out by the side of the house and dig a snow trench and try it. I'll call it research when Mr. B starts scoffing.

I used the air pad in August and half of September and was much more comfortable with the wider top and longer length than with previous Neoair and Thermarest pads I've tried. So comfort-wise, they win.

Then I switched to the down pad at the end of September because the nights were getting down into the upper 30's and 40's. I did not do anything different with my clothing or quilt and was warm all night. All of this is subjective and with limited experience, of course, and the real test will be sleeping in 15-30 degrees on snow. I'll report back when I've got the data!

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

It is really true that most cottage manufacturers could benefit from some proper web design and development. I just sent Bender an email offering some work after seeing your comment, Mike. It never really donned on me that my day job and my passion for expensive backpacking gear could unite into a happy marriage.

I also have a draft email to MLD I should get around to sending; that website slow and unoptimized and the opposite of Ron's work.

<shameless plug>

Actually, if anyone is interested in trading gear for some design or web programming work, I'll have free time over the next couple weeks as I'll be traveling for work. You can look at work samples and get in touch with me at http://kaiuhl.com/

</shameless plug>

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I have a non insulated 24 x 2.4 x 77 thats right around 16 0z and have on order one of his r9 down pads thats 24 x 3.5 x 77 in a mummy shape that I think he said would be 24 oz.

I am hoping my down pad gets here next week as thats what he projected when I ordered it.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

What's Benders turnaround time?

*nevermind… I'll just email the guy.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

an R9 over-length pad @ 24 oz? that would really be the cat's a$$ :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools