Topic

What’s Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What’s Everyone using for a Sleeping Bag PAD. Z-lite etc.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

I am trying to figure out what to do about a sleeping bag pad. I presently have a Therma Rest 4 weighing in at 2lbs. 1 oz. I can’t have a pad weighing 1/2 lbs. more than my shelter.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

In summer I use a cheapo blue foam pad cut down to 26″ length and tapering from 19″ to 15″. 2.29oz and probably could be narrowed a bit more now that I’ve used it. Also put my pack under my legs. Not quite sure what I’m going to try for winter.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Too many miles on this aging back!

An air mattress; Insulmat Max-Thermo 3/4 length and a piece of CCF under my feet. 15 oz. for the mattress + 2 oz. for the CCF.

The CCF stiffens my Golite Jam pack and serves as a seat in camp.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Thermarest Prolite 3 short and a 1/4 inch thick foam pad of unknown heritage under my feet and to sit upon

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

REI Lite Core self-inflating pad (3/4 length) plus a quarter-length blue foam pad that doubles as chair pad in camp.

Al Clemens

@al

I use a Ridgerest Deluxe large, for the extra width (25″), keeps my arms from getting cold as I sleep on my back. I cut it down to 48″ and use the backpack pad for the lower legs. Weight is around a pound.

Mary Simpson

@maryphyl

Well, last weekend I tried out my new BMW 10 ounce inflatable–I also took 4 sections of cut down Z-rest for my feet and for a chair. I was comfortable. Mary

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For three-season conditions, I use a variety of pads ranging in weight from a cut-down Mt. Washington pad(4.7 oz.) to a Thermarest Ultralight 3/4 (16.2 oz.) depending or the trade-off of comfort vs. weight I’m willing to accept for a particular trip. My Vapor Trail pack insulates my lower legs and feet. In colder weather, I throw a RidgeRest under the Thermarest for greater warmth.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I made on of the hybrid pads from Mike Clelland’s article. (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_multi_pad_ground_sheet.html) I was happy to see the article as I had just found a used BMW TorsoLite pad and it just wasn’t big enough for me. Adding the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad took care of my legs and gave enough room to sleep on my side. The Thinlight material is really warm.

I’ve used inflatable Thermarest, RidgeRest, and Z-Lite pads. They all work. It comes down to bulk as much as anything, which is why I pursued the hybrid pad.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

Maryphyl – it’s lovely to see you here, sweetheart.

i have a TorsoLite, which i love but i just can’t stay faithful to. i occasionally cheat on it with a z-rest, and i used to cat around with a Prolite, until the actual cats got to it. i should make them into winter hats.

nsandersen
    BPL Member

@nsandersen

Pacific Outdorr Equipment Insul-Mat Ãœber-Lite. Will top it up with a 3/8″ Gossamer Gear Thinlight and see how it goes when it gets colder.

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

So Nickolas, Is this your present system? If so…how is it in the cold. I didn’t quite understand what you were implying.

Chris Miller

@chrisdm

I love my new InsulMat Max Thermo-Lite. It’s a full body, comfy pad for 19oz… It is very similar in size and weight to my ProLite 3 Regular, but a bit more comfortable thanks to the side rails. My Prolite has been demoted to “spare”.

I also like that a repair kit is included in the stuff sack.

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

I second the Insulmat Max Thermo. I have the mummy version. 2.5” thick – perfect for side sleepers

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Anybody using one of these? There’s a deal on REI-Outlet.com, so, I’m wondering why it wasn’t selling well.

Dwight

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

John,

Try a Gossamer Gear torso length Nightlight pad (3.5 oz) paired with a GG 19.5″ x 59″ x 3/8″ pad (5.3 oz). Put your feet near the bottom of the 3/8″ pad then put the torso pad on it, dimples down, such that it extends from the small of your back to your head. This creates a depression for your butt (back sleepers) or hips (side sleepers) which is very comfortable. I now use this system (~ 9 oz) instead of a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core mummy mattress (~ 19 oz). In addition to weighing less, it provides much better insulation and will never lose air due to a hole or faulty valve.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Dwight, I use the 3/4 version on occasion. It’s pretty comfortable for a closed cell pad. The REI copy on the website is incorrect. The insert in the SL Lite Mtn is EVA foam, not inflatable. I think they used the copy from the HyperLite by mistake. Also, the weight listed is off a bit. Mine weighs 10.7 oz. on my scale.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

I’ll double check with them see if they’ll make me a deal on one that is to the specs they quote.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

Ditto for the Insul Mat Max-thermo..cannot leave home without it.

Chris Miller

@chrisdm

RE Max Thermo, I’m using the Lite version, which is self-inflatable and 1″ thick, full-body pad. Also a few ounces lighter than the orifinal Max Thermo… Here’s both for comparison:

http://search.backcountry.com/exec/?mv_session_id=rzdQrzMn&aff=1&search_button.x=0&search_button.y=0&q=max+thermo

Jason DeMars

@demjas

I would recommend that you try a closed cell foam pad. You can purchase them at any outfitter and they are inexpensive. These are not the best if you sleep in established campsites. If you camp away from the campsites it is fine. However, if you camp in the usual compacted campsites you might want to stick with at minimum a 3/4 length self inflating pad and then put close under your legs and feet. Otherwise if you camp on soft unused ground away from the campsites a closed cell foam pad works well, even one that is cut down to simply fit your torso. But I would experiment and see what works best for you. Some people are comfortable with a hard bed and some people are not. Use closed cell foam one time, but take along your air matress if it doesn’t work for you. Just try to work your way into the closed cell since it could be a shocker to you.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

I use a POE Insul-Mat Max Compact; not insulated, few years old, and the only piece of kit I still use from my car camping days. 1.25 pounds, full length, mummy shape. Problems include width (elbows often touch the ground when laying on one’s back) and slipperiness (ground slope starts to really matter!).

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Trying to decide and they look identical except I can’t find an R rating for the max thermo.

thermarest prolite sleeping 3:
    r value 2.3
    1lb 4oz
    20x72x1

Max thermo-lite:
    r value [3 season use?]
    1lb 3oz
    20x72x1

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Since the Max Thermo Lite is a combination of the Max Thermo and the Maxlite and these have an R value of between 3 and 4, I guess this applies also to the Max Thermo Lite.
    The BMW Torsolite is practicaly a torsosized version of the Maxlite (as was told by POE customer service) and has an R-value of 3,5.

BTW I believe that from late november early december, these pads will be renamed as the All Out series pads and a shorter version will be added (called All Out 2/3). Kind of funny but that 2/3 indication made me curious so I looked at the measurements of other short pads like the Prolite S. Everybody seems/seemed to call them 3/4 sized pads but actually these pads are/were never bigger than 2/3 of the regular size. 2/3 sized mats from POE are in a bit longer than the 2/3 from Thermarest. Prolite 3 R Womens is warmer and lighter than Prolite 3 and just a bit shorter.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Model: Insul Mat Ãœber-Lite
    Weight: 8 oz.
    Height: 1 in.
    Width: 17 in.
    length: 37 in.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=POE130&code=TS1789

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools