Topic

LW inflatible pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LW inflatible pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I was hoping I could get suggestions for lightweight inflatable pads. I would like the pad to be able to take me down to around 30 degrees (I realize there's a lot of possible variables) and if at all possible be at a minimum length of 60". I usually sleep with a 25 degree quilt and I don't really sleep cold – although that's really subjective.

Right now, my leading choice is a regular or medium neoair with a GG thinlight on top. I haven't decided what size thickness yet, but I'm considering 1/8" and 3/8". I'm also considering a Kookabay 66" R5 synth mat, but the price is a little more than I want to pay. I'm coming from a short Big Agnes Insulated Aircore at 20 oz and I want to drop some weight. Any other suggestions?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Subjective… but methinks down to 30F — a Neoair will suffice all by itself. You won't need a GG pad to supplement.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

minimum 60". Nevermind then!

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I see no reason why a Neoair won't work for you. Especially if you use a 1/8" pad UNDER it to protect it from things. I doubt you'll need the foam for warmth.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Its good to hear that the Neoair will be sufficient. I've read through a lot of threads and it seems like people's experiences with the pad have varied. A 1/8" GG pad underneath for protection is probably a good idea.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

+1 to what they said. I've been warm enough down to 30 F in an uninsulated POE Ether Compact 6 in a MB ULSS #3, and I guess I'd expect that the NeoAir could take me down to 20 F or so (?).

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I've used the Neo-Air on all of my trips for the last year or so.

It's held up fine (even to middle-of-the night dog cuddling ambushes) and kept me comfy (by itself) down to about 30* F and with a 3/8" GG thinlight down to the low 20s so far. I haven't had a chance yet to take it lower. I wouldnt' mind it being a little wider but otherwise, it's worked great for me.

I've been putting the thinlight underneath the pad most of the time to help protect it from the ground. I know there's competing theories on whether it does more to insulate you with the thinlight on top vs bottom but I haven't noticed much difference so far. I figure if I get extra insulation from it in either set-up, then it makes sense to put the thinlight underneath and benefit from a little extra protection for the pad.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

When does the updated POE Peak Elite AC come out? The stealth black version looks like a great alternative to the NeoAir, Regular and Long come in @ 14 and 15oz.

Phil Turner did a short preview on the Peak Elite AC on his blog back in Dec.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

That looks really interesting…maybe worth holding off on the neoair for.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just thinking / questioning out loud…

Same exact weight as the NeoAir. Seems like the same warmth as well — down to 0C (32F) ground temp. Reading on, I'm a bit leery about POE's reduced R factor away from torso, as my feet tend to get cold much more frequently than my torso.

Finally, the part about color: "it is black for precisely the same reason – theoretically enhancing heat retention". Eh? Sure, when you've got the sun (or similar) shining at it. But at night? Does color make a difference at all in nighttime? Maybe some of ye Physics major can add to this.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Benjamin,

Have you considered that when your feet are getting cold first its b/c overall you aren't insulated well enough (just barely)? Extrememities will, after all, tend to get cold before the rest of your body. Body mapping is an interesting subject but not very useful until without practical testing.

Re: the black color — I'm not physics major but I'll try to fill in till they get out ofthe lab. The color it is will make no difference to heat xfer at night. As you were guessing, the color of a something is only important when w.r.t visible light. Or alternatively, the color of something is undefined (or meaninless) without visible light.

Black is black b/c it absorbs all visible light (& thus reflects none) and white is white b/c is reflects it all back. Other colors are what they are based on thier absorption/reflection characterists of visable light w.r.t light color (or light frequency).

Black gets hotter than white in visible light b/c it is absorbing the light (ie absorbing radiation in transforming it to thermal energy) while the white is absorbing none.

James

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

…but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night! (and I'm a chemical engineer, we learn about blackbody radiation)

Black presumably has a emissivity close to 1 which is a perfect blackbody. This allows an object to capture and not reflect all radiation which falls on its surface. If we consider an air mattress, the portion of the top surface not touching a body would absorb all the radiation from the hotter body to the colder air mattress surface. A reflective top surface would be able to reflect some of this radiation back to the body.

I can see no good reason why one would choose black for this purpose.

EDIT: To address the post above, all objects hotter than absolute zero emit radiation of a wavelength inversely proportional to its absolute temperature (in Kelvin). This phenomenon is not restricted to visible light alone.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Yes, all objects hotter than absolute zero emit radiation of a wavelength inversely proportional to its absolute temperature (not exlusive to Kelvin though; and what if e=0:)) but that has nothing to do with what makes something appear black in visible light.

Color (as it is being used here) of an object has no meaning outside of visible light.

IN general, emissivity is a function of the raditiation frequency and the material properties. The emissivity of an object has little to do with its color in visible light. The emissivity of a black object is ~1 only in the visible band of electromagnet radiation – outside of that, you need to know a little more about the object — see the garbage bag picture about half way do this wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

Black is usually nice for one of the surfaces of a fill type garment / bag as it will help set item dry out in the sun.

James

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thank you, gentlemen, you have confirmed my suspicion. Nevertheless, the POE is still an interesting gear piece. I look forward to reading some hands-on reviews soon.

Stephen Schaffner
    Spectator

@glipsnort

Locale: New England

POE said that the Peak Elite would be coming out in early February when I called them a few days ago.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Stephen, were you able to get any information from them on the retail price of the pad when you called?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

This site seems to already have it, but only the women's version is available.

http://www.racingtheplanet.com/store/pacific-outdoor-equipment-peak-elite-ac.html

Oh yeah, $82.50. This pad will be an attractive option if the regular length men's version is about the same price.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Under the "Info" tab –

"Dark fabrics, like black, harmonize with the thermal frequencies of the radiant heat waves and return is then maximized."

All together now— UUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Yeah harmonizing. Where's Roger at with his "marketing spin" dowsing rod?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Snake oil sales talk.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

As a side sleeper, I just can't get comfortable on any pad with six or eight long air chambers. I get a much better night's sleep on a neo-air.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools